Chapter 52 ~ The Rope

Okay, so that wasn't completely true

I'd broken a pinky promise once before, back when Mikaela and I had returned to the real world. I'd promised I wouldn't let any harm come to her, and that I'd be there when she opened her eyes.

Neither of which went to plan.

But that wasn't my fault. I'd tried my best to stick to my word but, well, we all know how that went down...

This time? It was completely my fault.

Sure, delayed flights couldn't be helped. Sometimes things happen that are out of our control and usually, there's not much we can do about it.

But let's face it: I was only still in Portland right now because I didn't do what needed to be done yesterday. Instead of actually having the balls to threaten the coven into obedience, I tried to talk to them because apparently, that's what good people do these days.

No stabbing. No siphoning. Just a nice, friendly chat.

And look where it got me!

Anna was right - this new me was weak. Emotional. Spineless. I fell in love, sure, and I wouldn't give that feeling up for the world. But to stay in control, I had to be more like the old me. The Kai that did whatever needed to be done to come out on top. The Kai that didn't give a shit about consequences. The Kai that only cared about one thing - surviving.

But now I had a girlfriend that I longed to protect, friends that I enjoyed being around, a family that I once hated now becoming something I wanted to be a part of. I'd fallen into the trap of allowing myself to have too many weaknesses, things that I treasured to be used as tools for my enemies to use against me.

And all it caused was pain. If not for me then for them.

I guess it was true all along. I couldn't have it all.

Pulling up Mikaela's contact, I considered calling her, before deciding I couldn't deal with hearing her heartbreak directly in my ear. Instead, I sent her a quick text: 'Flights are delayed until late tonight. I won't be home until the early hours of the morning. I'm so sorry.'

I waited for a few moments, Mikaela's reply following shortly after.

'Ok.'

That was it. Just two letters. Nothing more, nothing less.

But it told me everything I needed to know.

***

Mikaela's POV

Present Day

I laid awake for hours. From the moment I'd received his heartbreaking text, I hadn't known what to do with myself.

I'd taken his advice earlier in the day and left the apartment for the first time since the funeral. I did some light shopping, bought some groceries and a few new outfits. Got an iced coffee.