Chapter 4 ~ The Nightmare

"Kai

"Kai..." I whispered full of fear. I was frozen in place, unable to move or control my limbs.

"Mikaela..." Kai replied calmly with a hint of caution to his tone, like I was a ticking time-bomb waiting to explode. "Put the knife down. It's okay."

I choked on a sob. "I can't," I cried. "This isn't me!" My body started to shake and it caused the knife to dig into Kai's tanned skin slightly, a trickle of blood slowly dripping down his throat.

Kai flinched only the smallest amount and frowned, staring into my terrified eyes as if he would find the all of the answers. "Isn't you?" he questioned incredulously. "What are you talking abou-" His words cut off as realisation registered across his features. His jaw set in place and he eyed the room around him.

Next thing I knew, we'd switched positions and he was now hovering above me, a menacing glint in his eyes. His left hand was around my throat, his right holding the knife that I'd previously been in possession of and aiming it towards my chest. My eyes widened in a mixture of shock and terror, but I couldn't move, his weight and hold on me keeping me pinned to the bed. The mind control that I seemed to be under made my limbs weak and I couldn't push him off.

"I know you're here Bennett Witch..." he said out loud like a sing-song, scanning the dark bedroom once again.

Bennett Witch? Was he talking about Bonnie?

"Don't be shy," he continued, chuckling darkly. "Show yourself." When nothing happened, he leaned down closer to me with a grin, although it wasn't filled with his usual happy-go-lucky humour. I trembled underneath him, whimpers slipping from my lips involuntarily.

"Shh," he whispered soothingly in my ear, moving the hand from my throat to cover my mouth. "I'm just trying to teach your little friend a lesson." He moved the knife closer to my skin, only millimetres away from piercing my chest. "Show yourself," he warned once again, "or I will kill your best friend right here in this bed whilst you watch."

Before I had a chance to really panic, his body was flung off the bed and across the room, hitting the wall with a satisfying thud. The knife had slipped from his grip and landed on the bed near me.

Clutching his head, he cried out in pain, unable to crawl from where he lay hunched over on the ground. The lights in the bedroom began to flash on and off violently, books and ornaments being pelted at him from all angles.

Like a switch, I gained full control of my movements again, Bonnie focusing all of her power on trying to kill Kai. I jumped off the bed and hurried over to him, trying to block a bulk of the objects heading his way, the instinct to save him too strong to fight it.

"Bonnie!" I yelled through gritted teeth. "Cut it out!"

The turbulent attack failed to cease and, running out of options, I hurried out into the hallway, grabbing an old mop that was left lying around. I flashed back into the bedroom, stood in front of Kai, protecting his frame still on the floor trying to fight off the power being sent his way. Hitting the wood handle against my knee, I snapped it into two, throwing the mop-end to the side.