𝟕. 𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐊𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐒

*⚠️TW: Mention of blood, mild violence, mentions of masochism/sadism⚠️

***

The next morning came. Athena was awake since 8 o'clock; she was too nervous to sleep any longer.

She got dressed in all black and went downstairs; Snape was not around.

After some coffee, she took the ''Daily Prophet'' newspaper of the day.

The front page had a headline with big letters that read ''DEATH EATER TERROR CONTINUES''.  A picture with Voldemort's Dark Mark on the sky, was accompanying the title.

''Well, you might as well get used to it...'' she mumbled, while taking the very first sip of caffeine.

''You are up early,'' she heard Snape's voice.

She refused to look at him. She just kept on reading the headlines. ''Yes, I couldn't sleep any longer,'' her tone was cold.

Snape sighed. ''Athena, please. You didn't let me explain.''

She shook her head. ''Fine. Then explain.''

He sat across from her, and took her hand in his. ''Listen to me carefully; I am only helping Malfoy, so I can keep you as safe as possible.''

''What--''

He cut her off. ''Let me finish. Please.''

She sighed. ''Go on...'' she whispered.

''I know this might sound cruel, but I couldn't just sacrifice you like that to the Dark Lord's needs. I have to shield you somehow. And Malfoy, could be that shield.''

Her eyes widened. ''What are you talking about? I don't understand.''

''If this ends badly... If, for any reason, you can't accomplish whatever he asks you to do... I can blame everything on Malfoy and his irresponsibility. And he will punish him, instead of you.''

Athena was now more shocked than ever. ''What? How can you say that? Are you serious right now? You are going to sacrifice him, if I do anything wrong? This is inhuman, Severus! It's a disgusting thing to do! I won't let you do this!'' she stood up from her seat. ''I can't believe you ever thought I would agree!''

Snape stood up from his chair as well. ''This is the only way, Athena. I won't risk your life. And this is what it's going to happen, no matter if you approve of this, or not. End of discussion!''

Her vision suddenly blurred from the tears she was violently holding back. ''I can't believe this. I feel like I don't know who you are anymore...''

''I don't care about that at the moment. I only care about your safety. Now, go to your room until we leave. I'll be in my office.''

He left her alone, without another word. Athena cupped her mouth, trying to stop herself from crying.

She might hate Draco, but she couldn't let another person take the fall for her, if she ever did anything wrong.

Athena felt hopeless. This didn't turn out the way she hoped for. This was supposed to be the most important day of her life. She wasn't supposed to be crying about someone like Draco Malfoy.

Maybe she should warn him about it. To let him know that he was just a pawn, that he was disposable.

But of course she couldn't do that. Of course she knew this was wrong, but she still couldn't put a person she met a week ago, over Severus.