49. Scoldings

“Is it that shocking?” Clara asks Bella whose face was drained of color specifically from the blush she acquired a while ago

“Did you tell her what happened?” Bella expectantly probes Clara, hoping her mom wouldn’t have blurted about Jake being drunk.

“I did… she deserved to know.” Clara replies and Bella shots up from her seat, dismay written all over her face.

Clara further explains herself, “you and Jake keep hiding things from her, I can’t lie to my friend, alright?”

Bella was already spinning in circles and thinking of the scenario at Jake’s house. She mutters loud enough for everyone to hear, “He’s so dead!”

“I need to go and save him!” Bella declares and quickly moves in the direction for the door.
Meanwhile, Eva sips on a glass of water, unbothered by their conversation.

Clara goes behind her, exclaiming before her daughter leaves, “Save him for what and why?”

Bella shouts back while she reaches the door, “It’s in the contract Mom!”

Clara glances behind at Eva and asks, “They have a contract?” Eva simply shrugs and says,

“Long story, do you have popcorn in the house?”

_____________________

Jake opens his eyelids to a very unfamiliar yet familiar room, he recognizes the roof very well. The stickers—this couldn’t be true. He possibly couldn’t be in Bella’s bed. His head felt like it was going to burst anytime from now.

The pressure was too much, the headache, he bits his lips hard in an effort to make it stop. A layer of saliva replaces the dehydrated layer that once coated his cracked lips.

The events tangles in his mind. He couldn’t think anything straight. With the remaining strength left in his body, he got up form his bed and stumbled on something fallen on the floor, he didn’t even care to see what it was.

But when he takes a few more steps and sees a certain person sleeping on the floor, curled up in a ball. The apprehension strikes him like a truck.

Unarranged frames of yesterday’s night’s timeline swipes past him in the oddest fashion. The titbits join in to form a full picture but he shakes his head, blocking the view and trying not to think about it at the moment.

He was well aware that whatever he did the preceding night was embarrassing and before another wave of awkwardness slaps on his face, he decides to leave.

But not before gently picking Bella from the floor and tucking her on the place he slept for the night.

Jake was about to tiptoe his way out of Bella’s house, but no, he wasn’t having fair share of luck left for the day. Clara had to pop out in front of him out of nowhere.