36. Just a friend?

A shock wave passes through Bella after the sudden hug, she doesn’t break it though, she lets his arms fall around her

Jay tightens the hug and rests his chin on her shoulder. He closes his eyes and, in that moment, a swift silence falls around, feeling her so close to his heart.

He was awake somehow, more alive than he had been in so very long. So deep that it concerns him that if he let her go, he would break. And he wants to cherish the moment as long as it lasted.

And then he realises he had fallen for her, way too innately, and unknowingly.

When he least expected it to happen, when the purpose of getting close to her was just to use her for his revenge.

To let Jake, know that he cannot have it all, but fate played a game with him and he is here, trying to find a reason on why it happened that way.

He couldn’t hold it in, he would regret if he does not let his feelings out now.

He mutters near her ear, “I wanted to ask about this since so long, will you be my date, for real?” his deep breathy voice sends shivers down her spine.

She is in for another shock as if she didn’t have enough of it for the day.

Bella tries to pull apart the embrace as a reflex for his actions, she presses her hands against his chest.

In that moment, his arms squeezed a fraction tighter and he mumbles, “Can we stay like this for a while. It’s been so long since I have hugged someone,”

That makes Bella’s hands fall down in defeat and she goes numb, not being sure on what to do in this kind of situation. She wasn’t exactly the touchy type of person nor was she a good hugger. But somehow, she felt a little comfortable in his arms.

She manages to murmur in between, “Jay I don’t…” he cuts her off, “Don’t answer me now… I am willing to wait,” as long as you want me, I’ll be here, right behind you. He wants to complete the sentence but he can’t voice it out.

“No Jay, let me speak…” Bella argued back, she couldn’t comprehend this situation and the best choice was to talk about it and not let him misunderstand certain things.

Jay pulls away and stretches his hand backwards, passing down a genuine smile, topped with a red blush on his cheek.

“I wanted to actually prepare a surprise to ask you out on the date for the fest but then I thought it was better if I asked you all alone rather than making you uncomfortable in public.”

He let the words fall of his tongue swiftly, trying to cover up the mess he made few seconds ago.

“So, you asked me out for a date on the fest?” Bella probes, beaming from inside that it isn’t what she thought in the first place. Little did she know.