Chapter 5

Aurora

I am standing at the cash counter of the super market. I am thinking about what should I do about the rent thing. How do I pay such a huge amout? All of my money went in Aiden's school fee. The little money I am left with, would do no good. Should I look for another place? But where will I get the money for that? I think I will be homeless.

Just then a customer came infront of me. He kept the things on the counter. Without looking up, I started calculating the amount. After I was done with it, I packed the things.

"That would be 50 dollars, sir", I said. "Card or cash?", I asked looking at him. Then my eyes fell on him. He was a tall and muscular man. Quiet handsome. But what struck in my mind was,'Have I seen him before?'He looked into my eyes. His face was blank, deprived of any emotion.

"Cash", he said and handed me the amount. I took the amount from him and without saying anything he went. He didn't even wait for change. Whatever. I shrugged the thoughts of that man and continued with my work.

But, I was feeling uncomfortable. It felt as if someone's gaze was piercing through me. But when I looked around me, I found everyone busy in their work.

A boy around the age of 10 years came towards me with a bouquet of black roses.

"Someone told me to give this to you", the boy said and handed the bouquet to me.

"Who?", I asked.

"That uncle", he said pointing outside the shop, towards the man standing leaning on a sports car. He was the same customer, who came few minutes ago. But why would he give me a bouquet of black roses?

He was gazing blankly at me. His gaze felt as if they were piercing through my soul. He had a dangerous aura around him. Just the sight of him, made my spine shiver. He entered his car and drove off.

So, he was the one who was staring at me. I felt a poke on my waist. I turned around only to find the same boy, smiling at me.

"You are so pretty", he said. I gave him a small smile and he went away.

"I see. Now you are getting bouquets", Claire said. I sighed. Honestly, I don't like this girl. It feels as if she is fake. And I hate fake people.

"Black roses? That is a weird choice", she said. "I know", I replied.

"You know? These flowers are giving to someone to show that you hate that person till the extent that you want to take revenge from them",she said. Yeah, right. But why would he give these flowers to me? Why does he hate me? Do I know him? I don't remember seeing him before.

"So you have got haters also. Be aware. Who knows, trouble is awaiting your arrival", she said and went away. I sighed.

The whole day went by me thinking , why did he send me those flowers. I got off my shift and was walking back home. I saw the same sports car, following me through my peripheral vision.

Oh god! What does he want from me? I rushed towards my apartment. I turned back to see, if the car is still there? But, it was not. Thank god!

I walked fast and reached my apartment as soon as possible. I locked the door properly and turned around breathing deeply.

But, what I saw made me go blank. I was not able to process anything. I felt like something got struck in my throat. I moved forward . There was a big bouquet of black roses kept in middle of the apartment. But that did not petrify me. What petrified me was that there were photographs on the bouquet.

Photographs of my little brother. He was tied on a chair with cloth around his mouth. Who did this to him? I touched one of the photographs. A drop of tear fell from my eyes, followed by many. My knees became weak. I was not able to support myself and then I fell on the ground crying and wailing.

No my brother! Why? Why? What did he do to anyone? He is innocent. He did not do anything. Then why? Who kidnapped him? How is he? Is he hurt? He must be crying. Will that person kill my brother? No! No! I won't let anything happen to him. He is my everything. I love him more than myself. If he is no more, than what would I live for?

Mom and Dad told me to take care of him at any cost. I can't let anything happen to him. I have promised my parents.

I got up abruptly and started searching the bouquet for anything other than photos of Aiden. My heart wrenched after watching every photograph.

"I have to save my brother", I mumbled. I found a piece of paper and something was written on it.

'You will pay for each and everything you have done to me. I will make sure of it. And I wish I could say that your brother is safe, but I can't. See you soon Belle.'

Who the hell is this? And what did I do to him? I don't even know him. It is the same man who gave me that bouquet at work. I am sure of it .But what did I do to him? Hell! I saw him today for the first time.

I know, I have done a lot of bad things to many people. But I don't recognise this particular guy. I didn't even see him before today. And even if I did something to him, why the hell is he involving my brother in all this. He is innocent.

If I am the one who has done something, then I should be the one receiving the punishment. Why my brother?

What if he kills my brother? No, I can't let that happen. I need to file a complaint against whoever he is.

I rushed out of my apartment and rushed towards the police station. I ran to the police station. I didn't had money for the taxi. The police station was only half a mile away, so it didn't took long. All the way, I was thinking about the worst possibility of him doing anything to my brother.

I went inside the police station. I wiped my tears and stood infront of the officer.

"I have to file a complaint", I said. The officer looked towards me and scanned me from head to toe. I would probably be looking like a mess right now.

The police officer smirked and opened his register."I am all ears", he said and looked at me. He licked his tongue making me disgusted. But, this is not the time for that.

"My brother has been kidnapped. Someone sent me his photographs, alongwith a bouquet of black roses. My brother used to study in Brazil", I said.

"I see. So you are saying that someone kidnapped your brother from Brazil and sent you the photographs here in Bolivia?", the officer asked.

"Yes", I said, nodding my head abruptly. He started laughing. Did I say some kind of joke that he is laughing?

"Listen officer. I am serious. You have to help me", I said to him with a straight face.

He got up from his chair and came towards me. I stood confidently at my place.

"Ofcourse I will help you gorgeous. You know the theory of give and take, right? So for me to help you, you have to help me first", he said licking his lips. How dare this pervert bastard? Is he even a cop? He should be ashamed of himself.

"How about I take you to my house and you help me? After that I will do my best to help you", he said smirking with lust filled eyes. That's it. I brought my knee up and hit him in his balls. The officer fell on the group groaning in pain.

"You Bitch. How dare you attack an on-duty cop? Arrest her", he shouted.

"No. He tried to harass me.  I was here to file a complaint", I shouted.

"Shup up, Bitch. What are you all waiting for? Arrest her", he said and two officers came towards me.

"I did not do anything", I said crying but no one heard me. They handcuffed my hands and pulled me towards one of the cells.

"Listen. My brother is kidnapped. I need help. Please, someone help me", I shouted. But, all of them turned their ears deaf on me. They pushed me inside a cell.

"Let me go. Please. I need to save my brother", I pleaded but they locked the door of the cell and went away.

"No", I shouted and burst out crying. I leaned on the door of the cell.

"Please, someone help me", I mumbled.

***