64 | nothing more and nothing less

Start from the beginning

"I think you're weird because I never told you I played volleyball." I practically choke out.

"You were wearing a kneecap on your left leg." He tells me. "And Coldwater High has a volleyball team. Besides, you're quite tall so I figured you played volleyball."

He's observant.

"I've been meaning to ask you how you've been after what happened at the back alley." He continues saying. "It must have startled you."

A few minutes, he pulls over to a sandwich truck in the middle of nowhere and turns to me. I look over at the yellow and green sign that reads 'The Lucky Lamb'.

"How do you like your sandwich?" I look back at him wide-eyed and I don't answer because I don't have any money with me. I think he notices, I'm nervous when he shrugs lightly as he says, "I haven't eaten anything since this morning. It's on me."

"I'd like a chicken sandwich." I croak. "Extra mayo and no pickles please."

"Jesus, that's dry as hell, how can you eat that?" He frowns.

"I'm allergic to the conservatives they put in pickles."

Yoongi tosses his cigarette butt on the ground and steps on it to put out the embers. He goes to place the order for our sandwiches and returns rather quick with some 7ups and extra fries. My stomach grumbles at the sight of those delicious treats when Yoongi takes out a handful of French fries and practically inhales them. He wipes his hand before starting the car and with that we drift away into the dark road ahead of us.

Twenty minutes pass until he finally stops the car, and he gestures me to get out. He brings out the bag of sandwiches then shuts the door behind him. When I step out of the car, the cool night breeze licks my skin and chills run down my spine because my shirt is thin, and I made a mistake thinking that a jean jacket is warm enough for this weather. Tall trees are towering on each side of the road until they reach the end of the road that leads to a clearing. I've never been to this side of Sunleth and you can see the whole town from up here. Every single building has twinkling lights that shine brightly in the dead of the night and while this place is only lit up by a streetlamp, the view ahead of us contains hundreds of galaxies.

"Come here," Yoongi says and I follow him to a bench near the edge of the viewpoint where there's something like a little gazebo. There are benches near the railings with a single telescope and I'm suddenly grateful he decided to go to the gazebo because it would block the wind. He hands me my sandwich along with the bag of fries and my beverage and I begin eating as soon as he digs in. Even though, I know absolutely nothing about him, I somehow feel comfortable around his presence.

"Thank you for the meal," I say and he nods while chewing on his chicken sub.

"It's nothing," Yoongi mutters.

I take one big bite out of my chicken sandwich then grab a fistful of fries, dipping them in ketchup when a big fat drop falls on my jeans. "Crap," I mutter, my face stuffed with French fries, and I reach out for some tissues in my backpack.

Meanwhile, Yoongi is quietly enjoying his food, completely ignoring my ketchup stain crisis. Once I finally grab the pack of tissues from my bag, his eyes fall on the copy of 'Lolita' that's sticking out.

"Nabokov Vladimir." He says the name of the author.

"You've read this?"

"Yes," he answers, lighting up another cigarette.

"I have to write a paper about it for English Lit." I huff. "I barely made past page 5."

"All this book confirms is that abuse is disguised as love and sometimes it's just the other way around." Yoongi says as-a-matter-of-factly. "Humbert describes his vile acts by using literary allusions and puns to make them seem captivating, ensnaring. Take those pretty words away and you're left with all the sick shit he's done; he was a pedophile and a murderer. Nabokov is a mastermind for forcing us to us see from Humbert's point of view, by basically compelling us to be an accomplice in his crimes." Once Yoongi finishes talking, all I do is stare at him in awe, because he knows so much more about this book than me and I'm supposed to write a stupid paper about this. "I guess the reason why this book is considered a masterpiece of the twentieth century is because Nabokov manages to make his readers immerse in all of Humbert's wrongdoings; knowing that his acts are wicked and vile and yet through his words you're tricked into engrossing in the darkness of Humbert's mind."