39

I set her down and ruffle her hair which had also gotten a little longer, not enough to be truly noticeable but enough that you could see a slight difference if you looked close enough. Not wanting any one to notice the difference I use my magic to add a slight wave to help hide the length.  Now her hair was more of a wavy pixie cut. 

"Lets have lunch then go to the grill. We can go see Damon first." She skips over to the fridge happily and looks thought it. I turn back to my laptop and scan through the market and with draw from a few before buying into another. "It's the pasta salad, brave heart." I call over my shoulder as I hear her move things about on the glass shelves. "Thanks momma."

I sign out and close my laptop, I put it to the side and use my magic to pull two bowls from the cupboard since Claire couldn't reach. We have lunch with music playing in the background and we quickly clean up before heading out. I drive us to the Salvatore boarding house. We sang along to the radio the whole way and I could tell Claire was loving the way her new voice sounded. It made me happy to see her experiment with her new vocal cords. At least now she wouldn't have to be self conscious about her voice deepening over the next few years.

We get out of the car and Claire immediately runs off inside to explore the new place while I go up to Damon's room. "Morning Dammy. You ready to be auctioned for a date?" I ask teasingly. He scowls in response and does up the rest of his shirt as he walks past me leaving Elena to look after him in shock. "He's not drunk" She states as she turns to Stefan.

I speak up before he can "Of course he's not. Do you know how much a vamp actually needs to drink in order to get drunk?" I question before walking off. I follow the laughter and find Damon throwing Claire up in the air and catching her. I swear my heart would stop each time he threw her up but I knew he wouldn't let her get hurt. "Come on you two, time to go" I call out as I walk past them spinning my keys on my index finger. 

"Can I drive little bird?"

"Um, no. My car. I drive." I say as I walk out the door. Damon carried Claire on his shoulders. I smile as I watch her fix his hair while the blue eyed vamp tries, and fails, to hide a smile. I sneakily take a picture of the two. I don't say anything as I get into the car and let Damon and Claire do rock, paper, scissors to see who would sit up front. I smirk to myself when I see Claire using her magic to win. She jumps up and down happily before getting into the front seat while Damon flopped back on the ground with a groan. I high five my daughter as she closes the door.

Damon finally gets off the pebbled drive after I threaten to run him over and, thankfully, we get to the grill on time. I really wasn't in the mood to deal with one of Carol's lectures. Damon runs off inside with Claire tucked under his arm like a football before I could even stop the car fully. They looked like they were having fun so I would just have to scold him later. 

I park and get out before locking the car. I quickly fix my hair before going in. I find Jenna and quickly give her a hug since it felt as if I hadn't seen her at all recently. "Hey Aunt Jenna. I've missed you"

"Missed you too. Where's Claire?" She asks as she hugs me back just as tightly and looks around me. "She's with Damon." I point to where Damon and Claire were seated at the bar tapping full sundae glasses together with a smile. "She's never going to sleep tonight." I groan as I realise what all that ice cream will do to her. She was a little bit more sensitive to sugar then most kids her age and she would most likely be jumping off all the furniture later.

Jenna laughs when she notices my expression. Her laughter quickly fades when I suggest Claire have a sleep over at hers. "That's what I thought" I say smugly before I join my daughter. I nudged her back when I'm close enough and quickly steal a few bites from her ice cream. 

The three of us spend some time in silence just enjoying the comfort of each other. The occasion laugh from my little brave heart breaking through since Camo would either pull a silly race or put ice-cream on her nose. I knew Damon would do something to annoy Alaric but figured I didn't need to interfere so I want going to. When Damon gets called up for the auction I wolf whistle and clap obnoxiously loudly just to embarrass him. Claire joins in and Damon all's on stage backwards as he give her a mock betrayed look.

"Can I order a serving of curly fries please?" I ask the server and he nods before going back into the kitchen. I wave Liz over. She walks over with a smile. "Hey Liz, mind watching Claire for a few minutes. I have and order coming out as well.

"Sure thing." I thank her before going over to Caroline. She talks to Elena about how Matt was 'total cougar bate'. I ignore the comment thou as I kiss Caroline's cheek and pay for a few raffle tickets for Jenna and make sure to write her name on them. Kelly Donovan comes over and Caroline greets her happily. "Hi Misses Donovan" Kelly simply gives her a look before turning to Elena "Elena, honey" She greet the brunette with a smile and a hug. 

"Rude" I scoff under my breath and Kelly turns to me "Excuse me."

"Oh, I said 'rude' I didn't realise you were hard of hearing." I say back, being overly polite just to annoy her further. "Who are you to talk to me like that?"

"I'm Caroline's best friend slash honorary sister. She was being polite the least you can do is have the human decency to be polite back. Although judging by how you are I guess that was too much to ask." She scoffs loudly and takes a step closer to me, trying to be threatening. The other three look on not quite sure what to do. "And what is that supposed to mean?"

"A dead beat mom who says she loves her kids but never actually shows it. Who leaves her 17 year old to work just to keep the roof over his head not to mention study, go to school and still try to act like the kid he is. A person who doesn't even deserve the title of mother." I bite back not regretting my words at all. I lean in closer so the others don't hear and whisper threateningly  "You try and be rude the the people I care about and next time I wont be so polite." I pull away and smile brightly before turning back to Caroline. "I'll catch up with you later Care-bear." I kiss her cheek once more before going over to Jenna. I slip the raffle tickets into her had with a wink and leave her to blush as she reads the back of the raffle tickets. 

I ruffle Claire's hair as I sit back down next to her. Her and Liz were talking about the butterflies on Claire's headband so I leave them to talk as I eat. Liz was different in real life then she was in the show. While she wasn't as home as much as she would have liked she still made time for her daughter. The two of them having a movie night once a week, even if it was the notebook over and over again. 

Caroline comes over at some point and hugs Liz before doing the same to Claire and I. "Hi honey. You okay?"

"Mhm" She hums in response to Liz before stealing some of my fries. "Kelly was rude when she came over but Addy stepped in." Liz was silent for a moment and nods in thanks towards me before looking Caroline in the eye. "Want me to talk to her"

"No, it's okay. Thanks Momma" Liz smiles and places a kiss on Caroline's temple before fixing her daughters hair and leaving to talk to a few other people. 

A/N 

I wanted to give Caroline and Liz a better relationship in this book