80

A peek into the past 

"Princess you must attend the ball or your father will be enraged." Chaeyoung, the lady in waiting of Princess Y/N worriedly coaxed.

The princess sighed taking out her sword and cutting a branch in front of her and then sheathing her sword again. The two were out taking a walk in the forest because the princess wanted to get away from home.

"There's no use if I'm going to get betrothed to who he chooses anyway." She mumbled, her grip on her horse' rein tightening.

Chaeyoung pitifully smiled. "My apologies your highness." 

"You're not at fault. You're just doing what you were told to." Y/n said turning her head to give an assuring smile.

After a while of silence and walking, y/n spoke.

"I'll go. I feel like I should." She said clutching the ruby bracelet hanging off her wrist. It would seem odd to many that a royal was relying on a bracelet that was a family heirloom. But Y/n could care less.

"Wait do you hear that?" Chaeyoung said keeping a hand in front of Y/n who also stopped and heard multiple footsteps from all sides and then before they knew it they were surrounded by forest bandits with black scarves covering their faces.

Y/n and chaeyoung both took out their swords and stood back to back facing the bandits who were now surrounding them.

"Hand over your bracelet and we'll let you go unharmed." A man, that they presumed to be the leader said. 

"Over my dead corpse." The princess scoffed with fierce eyes scaring the bandits because no woman that they'd encountered before was ever this fierce.

Seeing the royal symbol on the sword, the leader got off his horse and spoke authoritatively,

"Put down your swords that's the royal highness." The leader said and everyone immediately drew back their swords with whispers of disbelief.

Y/n raised her eyebrow in suspicion as the leader unwrapped his scarf and knelt as his teammates did they same.

Y/n was taken aback at how the leader had extremely flawless skin and not to mention his beautiful brown eyes.

"We apologize for the discomfort, princess." He said and Y/n shook her head putting her sword back.

"It's alright. Nobody's hurt." She said patting her horse who seemed startled too.

The leader stood up and mounted his horse but Y/n just couldn't shake off the feeling that she'd seen him somewhere. As if, those brown orbs of his were a missing part of her.

 "What's your name?" She found herself asking the beautiful looking man who's lips curved up in a small smile before he turned his horse around and then stopped.

"Yeonjun. Choi Yeonjun." 

-

Chatter echoed in the ballroom as people with high positions from various kingdoms conversed awaiting the king. 

"Behave yourself or prepare yourself for the consequences." King hyunwoo grunted as a maid helped put on his cape.

Y/n nodded, even though rage coursed through her veins. She held it in. 

"Don't eat much in front of the guests either." He said and y/n lost it.

"I should not come at all then, father." She said with her jaw gritted and Chaeyoung who was standing a little far off knew what was coming.

The back of Hyunwoo's hand made harsh contact with Y/n's cheek but she didn't move even inch. 

She expected it.