37 : I'll Call You Back

"You look so happy recently, anything good happened?" Kai nudged my hand with one of his brows arched.

"Uh? What are you doing here?" I blinked my eyes a few time when I noticed him standing next to me. I was by myself just now.

"I wanna buy a drink, obviously." he pointed the vending machine in front of me.

I just realized I hadn't made any purchase yet when the screen showed my remaining balance was the same as the amount of money I inserted.

"You were smiling and giggling to yourself since I came. That's why I asked. So, you're gonna buy a drink or not? I'm afraid if the machine will take your money without giving you anything." he continued.

I quickly pushed one of the buttons without thinking and picked up the bottle. Bad luck, it was a bottle of orange juice. I don't like it.

"No, I mean, what are you doing here in JYPE? I've seen you lingering around so much."

"Oh. Did you forget I'm a soloist now? I kinda want to work with other soloists. Especially, her." he smiled when his eyes instructed me to follow his gaze, which lead to a framed poster of Somi on the wall.

"Uhh, come on. I know what you mean by that."

"Hmm? This time, it's real, Sunyoung. It's different. I've never felt like this before."

"Alright, shut up. Whatever, I don't care. Don't involve me with your hormonal imbalance."

"Says the one who smiled to a vending machine. Come on, wanna tell what's up? It can't be Hajoon. I know it's only for media play even though you had a crush on him back in highschool."

"I was smiling because I got bonus for this month. Don't expect me to be happy about anything other than money."

He snorted. "Money can make you twirl you hair and space out in front of a vending machine? My ass. You're keeping a secret from me? Come on, we're best friends."

He was just too stubborn to give up and there's no way I would tell him. He kept giving me those puppy eyes but it didn't work on me. I'm gay.

"Have I ever showed any interest in a human? It's because of my bonus, Kai. What else are you expecting?"

He didn't change his thought, still waiting for me to answer honestly.

"You know, across this place, there's a new coffeehouse. I went there a few days ago and the owner is so sweet and pretty." I tried to change the topic.

"Really? Do you wanna go there together now?"

I guessed that worked. "Yeah, I pushed the wrong button anyway. Let's go."

Kai hadn't stop talking about Somi on our way there and I just couldn't handle every of his word. He behaved like he's Romeo falling in love with Juliet, but he changed his Juliet every day and nobody would take him seriously because of that.

I sneaked my hand into the pocket and took my phone out. I wanted to text Rosé. I couldn't refrain myself from smiling at the fact I fell asleep when she was telling me about our old days. It was so sweet for me that it happened to be my bedtime story, told by her.

But I also thought of how she behaved a bit weird last night. When we were at the convenience store and how she stopped in the middle of doing it. She even left early this morning, not waking me up first as she usually did.

Sunyoung : hey, you didn't wake me up and left so early. is there anything going on?

"Listen to me, kid. This is a serious matter. So should I ask Somi or should I ask my boss first?"

"Huh? You should ask Somi." I had no idea what he was talking about but it's the best way to make him shut up.

"Right? I thought so. By the way, where's the place? Is it still far away?"

"No, it's just there." I pointed to the small and quite hidden between the busy shops.

I peeked from outside of the shop through the transparent glasses, confirming if Nahee was there. Since it was morning, I suppose Nahee was fhe one in charge as her younger sister, Eul, would be at school at this hour.

As the coffeehouse didn't seem to have many customers, it was easy to see almost everything inside. There was no one in the barista station nor the counter but there were two people sitting together at the corner.

I tried to see if one of them was Nahee. Based on her back, I could confirm it was her even though I had only met her yesterday, twice. My eyes squinted a little bit more to see the other one who was facing her but the person was covered up with a mask and a beanie.

At first glance, I thought it was Rosé.

The jacket and her eyes. Even the mask. They were the same as Rosé's.

I shrugged the thought as Rosé wouldn't have any reason to come here. She barely knew Nahee or Nahi, except she did meet Nahee last night at the convenience store. Where Nahee didn't know it was Rosé and Rosé didn't say a word upon meeting her.

But the blonde hair slipping out of the beanie really made me guess for the second time.

"Why do you have to peek? Can't we just go inside? I'm really thirsty for the coffee and of course the owner you told me." Kai whined when I stopped him from going inside.

"Uhmm, wait. I have to confirm if she's here or not. Or else you will only meet a hot tempered old lady instead."

"Ugh, really? I should've bought a drink from the vending machine earlier."

I dialed for Rosé's number when I saw the blonde had her phone on the table, kind of hoping at least one of them to not answer or answer the call. Because it would destroy my brain, trying to figure out why they're holding each other's hand.

"Hey, sorry but I'll call you back later."