Chapter 50: There's Room to Grow

Start from the beginning

Sailor Keika must have been thinking the same thing. The Queen made her way front and center.

"I do not want to do this, but I will if I must, Moli," she said, calling Xenon by her civilian name. As she spoke, gold sparkled before her and a sun-crowned tier appeared. Keika grasped the rod that stood near her height. It was adorned with the same silver and diamonds as the crown atop her head.

"I wasn't expecting to ever have to fight you," Xenon said, "but you're in my way." She pooled her energy, collecting a potent sphere of power between her palms.

Keika pursed her cherry lips. Usagi and Fighter had nearly reached Xenon. "Very well, then," Keika said, sounding rueful. She raised her royal tier, a dazzling orange hue blossoming.

"Solar Beam Diffusion!" Keika swung her weapon. Simultaneously, Fighter charged forward with her sword.

"Vapor Release!" Xenon discharged her own attack. It collided with Keika's - two massive spheres of energy merging before canceling each other out and kicking up a gust of wind that tousled everyone's hair and uniforms.

Xenon spun fast, anticipating Fighter's attack. But the Starlight had vanished!  By the time Xenon whirled in the other direction, Fighter was coming at her again. Xenon caught the sword, the blade between her hands. They trembled under Fighter's weapon.

"Nice try," Xenon said with the trace of a smirk.

"Who said I was aiming for you?" Fighter let go of her weapon, leaving it suspended in Xenon's grip. In that split second before Xenon could drop the sword, Fighter lunged, taking her down like a middle linebacker. They tumbled to the ground, a jumble of thrashing limbs - Fighter's hands on her waist, Xenon grasping a fistful of her ponytail.

Xenon growled and sent the Starlight flying with an electrical shove of the hand.

"Fighter!" Usagi cried, horrified.

With an abrupt and brutal landing, Fighter skidded against the ground, the momentum bringing her to a jarring stop before she quickly rebounded to her feet.

"You little..." Xenon's hands frantically patted the empty pockets of her skirt.

"Bun Head!" Fighter called, winding back her arm. She launched the locket in a wide arc. The golden blur sailed toward its rightful owner.

Usagi focused on nothing else but the brooch streaking toward her. A rush of determination guided her movements. Jogging, Usagi prayed she wouldn't trip, hoping those softball lessons had done some good after all. And then it met her hand, its smooth metal cradled in her palm. By some miracle, she had caught it.

Usagi held it high. "Moon Eternal..."

"No!" Xenon wailed.

"Make-UP!"

The cave flooded with lunar power. Usagi's clothes washed away, leaving her silhouette encased in a glittering sheath of magic as her sailor guardian uniform materialized. In an instant, she stood transformed - the pretty guardian of love and justice with her white boots, layered yellow skirt, puffy pink sleeves, star and moon earrings, and angelic wings.

"It ends here, Xenon," Eternal Sailor Moon proclaimed. Her pearly new tier came to her grasp. The stolen energy surged back to her.

Xenon's nostrils flared. She scanned the cave, eyes flitting fast over every guardian in calculation. She exuded the energy of a caged animal.

Sailor Moon's expression softened. She took a small step toward Xenon. "Please," she said. "Let me help you. It will be alright."

"You've got to be kidding me," Xenon spat.