Chapter 25: Encounter

💫 Drops of Starlight 💫
By Strawberry Moon Rose
🍓🌙🌹

I wrote this whole chapter in one sitting! That's a rarity for me, but I just couldn't stop.

_________________________________
Chapter 25: Encounter
_________________________________

The frigid air shrouded Tokyo, turning every breath into a biting sensation that burned their lungs and stung their nostrils. Usagi and Seiya sprinted through the icy streets, their breath visible in the frosty night air. The cold wind whipped at their cheeks, and it wasn't until they skidded to a stop, half a block from the unfolding attack, that they felt the windburn on their exposed skin.

Seiya ducked into a nearby alley. Usagi almost slipped from the abrupt stop, but quickly regained her balance and hurried after her. Peering cautiously around the corner of a weathered brick building, they could see the scene illuminated under the city lights.

Nephrite held a young woman suspended in his grasp, one hand summoning a lavender energy from the woman's glowing body. He wore nondescript clothes, and if the freezing temperatures bothered him, he didn't show it.

"So that's him, huh?" Seiya whispered, studying the man for the very first time. "What's he doing?"

"Stealing her energy," came Usagi's reply. "This is the same tactic he used the first time. I wonder what he's gathering it for. Last time it was for Queen Beryl."

"Maybe he's working for someone this time too."

"C'mon!" Usagi stepped deeper into the shadows, ignoring the pungent odor emanating from a nearby dumpster.

"Moon Eternal..."

"Fighter Star Power..."

Their voices melded seamlessly, "Make-UP!"

A kaleidoscope of light washed over their bundled-up bodies, eroding their coats, gloves, and clothes. When the radiant transformation ended, they were left standing in their sailor guardian uniforms.

Sailor Star Fighter immediately hugged her exposed skin. Her leather shorts and skimpy top offered no protection against the weather. "Hey, Bun Head, this season you call winter on Earth? I hate it!"

Eternal Sailor Moon smiled, then gestured towards the end of the block. "Let's make him pay for forcing us out here in the middle of a blizzard!"

Together, they charged down the frozen sidewalks, the falling snow blurring their vision. The few civilians who had yet to flee the scene now gazed in awe at the famous sailor guardians. Fortunately, this section of town remained somewhat deserted, except for the unfortunate victim.

"Hold it right there, Nephrite!" Sailor Moon's voice rang out.

Nephrite glanced up, and his expression soured.

"Making us come after you when we should be cuddled up, sipping hot chocolate and watching a movie, because you're stealing innocent people's energy again, well, that's just unforgivable!"

A bemused sweatdrop appeared on Fighter's forehead as her girlfriend launch into one of her unnecessarily long speeches. How she didn't get winded, Fighter wasn't sure.

"I'm the pretty guardian who fights for love and justice! I'm Sailor Moon! And in the name of the moon, we'll punish you!"

"Sailor Star Fighter! Stage on!"

"Hmm, it's been a while since I heard that introduction." Nephrite sounded bored. He seemed to be speaking to Fighter, or at least looking at her when he spoke.