Chapter 37: Beautiful Ghost

💫 Drops of Starlight 💫
By Strawberry Moon Rose
🍓🌙 🌹

_________________________________
Chapter 37: Beautiful Ghost
_________________________________

"When are you going to grow up, Usagi?" Luna's ears flattened as she sighed in exasperation.

"Gee, Luna, thanks." Usagi rolled over, adjusting the mascara-stained pillow. She had spent the last fifteen minutes wallowing in self-pity before Luna made her recount the fight with Seiya. She should have known how her cat would respond. "Go ahead, give me your usual speech," Usagi mumbled, "You can skip the crybaby part. I don't expect you to understand."

"What's there to understand? You're being ridiculous and you know it. Save your tears for something actually worth crying over."

Usagi scowled at her cat. "Why are you taking Seiya's side anyway?"

"Because she didn't do anything wrong. You're just jealous."

Usagi ignored the comment. It didn't matter if it was true, that wasn't the point. She sat up, hugging herself. In the playpen across the room, Chibi-Usa began to stir. "I told her everything, Luna. Seiya has always said how important it is for there to be no secrets between us. But she never mentioned this. How come she didn't say anything?"

Luna paused. "I honestly don't know."

That was the opposite of reassuring. "It's probably because Seiya still has feelings for her princess. She didn't want me to know about it!"

"Don't jump to conclusions. Just because Seiya didn't bring it up doesn't mean she was trying to hide it from you."

"It feels that way..." Usagi brought her thumbnail to her mouth. Seven years was a long time. Just how long had Seiya and Kakyuu been a couple? What was their relationship like? Usagi had always sensed they were close, but she assumed it was simply because of their sailor guardian relationship. Now she was questioning everything.

Unwanted images ran wild in her imagination. Had Seiya aslo sat beside Kakyuu, stargazing under a twinkling sky? Kissed her under the light of Kinmoku's exotic moon? Slept in her olive blossom-scented bed, and awoke with red hair spilling onto her pillow? Had Seiya caressed her in ways Usagi couldn't even fathom? And if she had, did Seiya ever think lovingly of those moments?

"Why does it bother you so much anyway?" Luna asked, breaking her tortuous daydream. "Did you really think Seiya would return home and never move on?"

"No, of course not."

"Then there isn't a problem. You can't hold the past against her when you have your history with Mamoru too. Don't be a hypocrite."

Hypocrite. Its syllables felt like weapons, but Usagi wasn't sure. "What exactly does that word mean?"

Luna looked frustrated. "I'm starting to think you're just creating problems on purpose so you don't have to think about Mamoru."

"This has nothing to do with Mamo! I'm mad at Seiya!"

Her raised voice caused Chibi-Usa to start crying. Usagi floundered for her pacifier but realized it was downstairs. She sent a pleading look to Luna, begging her to fetch it. The last thing she wanted was to run into the Starlight.

Luna shook her head and reluctantly headed toward the door. "Seiya's shown you nothing but kindness since she arrived, and this is how you repay her? I wouldn't be surprised if she packs up and heads back to Kinmoku."

"She wouldn't do that!"

"Don't be so sure." With the flick of her tail, Luna slipped out of the room.