Chapter 2: Listens Like Spring, Talks Like June

💫Drops of Starlight💫

by Strawberry Moon Rose
🍓🌙🌹

_________________________________

Chapter 2: Listens Like Spring, Talks Like June
_________________________________

"Oh my god! Seiya!?" Usagi's reaction registered as pure shock. Seiya only had two seconds to indulge in her comical expression before the shorter girl rushed forward, yanking her into an embrace.

A familiar scent tickled Seiya's nose - floral notes with a hint of vanilla. Memories cascaded over Seiya like a waterfall, flooding her senses. In mere seconds, she was drowning in a torrent of recollections—the last tender kiss on Usagi's cheek, her own playful remarks about whisking Bun Head away after their final concert, and the poignant moment of leaping on top of Sailor Moon, shielding her from Galaxia's devastating blow.

"I missed you!" Usagi's high-pitched voice was muffled into Seiya's shoulder. She sensed a momentary hesitation from Usagi - was she regretting the hug? Seiya hoped not. She reassured her by pressing the warmth of her winter gloves onto her back. Usagi must have decided the embrace was lasting a beat too long and hurriedly pulled back.

Seiya felt her cheeks flush a bubblegum pink. She hoped Usagi thought it was from the cold.

"Silly me, c'mon in and get warmed up! Here, I'll go make you some tea. Or would you like coffee?"

"Tea would be great," Seiya replied, stepping inside. Static electricity tingled her scalp as she tugged off her hat.

"I'll take your coat."

Seiya shrugged off her fleece coat, revealing a black turtleneck sweater. A short gold necklace swung around her neck. Dark denim hugged her hips, tucked into ankle combat boots that Seiya proceeded to untie in the entryway.

"Oh," Usagi blurted out. When their eyes met, she quickly cut her gaze and disappeared into the kitchen.

Seiya smiled inwardly, jumping to the conclusion Usagi had been expecting her male disguise. For some reason, it amused her.

Something like a whine sounded from somewhere in the apartment. Seiya slipped off her shoes as Usagi rushed out of the kitchen into the connecting dining room. Seiya followed, entering the room just as Usagi helped an infant latch to her breast.

"Oh!" Seiya froze. A baby. Bun Head...has a child?

Usagi smiled modestly, apologetically. "Sorry, Seiya. It's her suppertime. I hope you don't mind."

"Not at all." Seiya lowered herself on the far cushion. "I'm just a bit surprised. Though I shouldn't be, you know?"

The baby, with her cotton candy pink curls, turned her head in the direction of Seiya's voice, her big ruby-brown eyes filled with curiosity.

Seiya softened, murmuring with a smile, "She looks like Chibi Chibi." The baby returned the smile shyly before turning back to Usagi's chest.

"Her name is Usagi, but we call her Chibi-Usa for short."

"She's adorable. Congrats, Bun Head. She's lucky to have you as her mom."

"Thanks."

There was a pregnant pause.

"She'll be six months old on the 30th, next week," Usagi said before a shill whistle interrupted from the kitchen. "Oh, the tea," said Usagi, diverting her attention.

"I'll get it," Seiya offered. Shortly after, she returned, placing two steaming hot tea cups on the coffee table. This time, she chose the cushion beside Usagi.