Chapter 17: Did You Fall for a Shooting Star?

💫 Drops of Starlight 💫
By Strawberry Moon Rose
🍓🌙🌹

Disclaimer: I do not own Sailor Moon or any of the characters. They belong to Naoko Takeuchi.
_________________________________
Chapter 17: Did You Fall for a Shooting Star?
_________________________________

Usagi stood in the entryway, her thoughts in a whirlwind as she tried to regain her composure. She replayed the way Haruka had leaned in, too quick for her to turn away if she had wanted to. The glint in her emerald eyes when Haruka pulled back - it was like her eyes were dancing. Usagi shook her head vigorously, turning red out of frustration. Why did she do that? She's got to be messing with me...

It didn't mean anything, Michiru was right there.

Right?

Seiya! Usagi whipped around and let out a sigh of relief. Seiya was in the kitchen. Thank god, I don't think she saw.

Usagi took a deep breath, determined to brush the whole thing off, and popped into the kitchen to offer her assistance. Seiya was slicing a tomato on a bamboo cutting board, her back turned to her.

"The burgers smell yummy." Usagi inhaled a large gulp of air. The platter of homemade french fries sitting invitingly on the counter was calling her name.

"Everything's nearly ready," Seiya replied flatly.

"Can I lend a hand with anything?"

"No need, I've got it covered."

Something was off in her tone. An intangible tension Usagi couldn't ignore. "Everything okay?" she asked, taking a tentative step closer. A sinking feeling tugged in her stomach. Maybe she did see.

Seiya's braid swished as she shook her head. She rotated the tomato, pushing the seeds off to the side with the knife. Chop. Chop. Chop.

Usagi lingered. She noticed how white the Starlight's knuckles looked, gripping the knife's handle. Was her hand trembling?

"Seiya..." she started.

Suddenly the taller woman dropped the utensil and clutched a hand to her chest. She cursed under her breath.

"Are you okay?" Usagi touched her arm.

As if just realizing she was there, Seiya's expression softened. "Yeah. I just managed to cut myself."

"Here, run it under water." Usagi ushered Seiya to the sink. She watched Seiya's fist uncurl, allowing droplets of blood to trickle off her pointer finger and swirl down the drain. Usagi quickly fetched a bandage and towel from the bathroom. She took Seiya's hand and patted it dry, bracing herself to examine the cut. With all the blood washed away, it appeared less severe than initially thought, although it was still bleeding.

"You really have to be more careful," Usagi said, her voice quiet and concerned.  She peeled the bandage from the plastic packaging and began wrapping it delicately around Seiya's finger. She half-expected Seiya to tease her regarding the band-aid's pink cartoon animal print, but she didn't. That's when Usagi knew.  

"Just a while ago...you saw, didn't you?"

Seiya's annoyance flared. A nod served as her only response.

"I'm sorry. I...I don't know why she did that."

"You don't have anything to apologize for, Bun Head."

"I just feel bad..."

"You're free to kiss whomever you want. It's not your fault I've fallen for you." Seiya managed a wink and slipped past her. The ends of her braided ponytail tickled Usagi's forearm as she passed.