Chapter 29: Coincidences

💫 Drops of Starlight 💫
By Strawberry Moon Rose
🍓🌙🌹

In terms of the length of this story, this is almost halfway. When you're reading a physical book you can see in your hands that you're reaching the middle, but with online fanfic, you don't know where you are. So there's a visual!

Also, this story's rating will be changed to M later on.

That's all for now. Enjoy!

_________________________________
Chapter 29: Coincidences
_________________________________

"Well," Rei said as they exited the jewelry shop, "It sounds like whatever brainwashing magic Nephrite used on Naru, he didn't bother using on her mom."

"Or Umino," Usagi added. "I feel bad for him, he has no idea what's going on. Neither one of them do."

The city bustled around them, oblivious to the mysteries they were unraveling. The group strolled through the streets, each step bringing them closer to a quaint park they stumbled upon.

As they settled on a weathered bench, the exchange with Naru's mother replayed in their heads. Chibi-Usa, perched in Usagi's lap, eagerly awaited her snack - a jar of blended bananas and a rice cracker.

Luna, perched on the backrest, pondered aloud, "I wonder what Nephrite hopes to gain by manipulating Naru's memories, making her believe he never died. How does it benefit him?"

"He must be using her somehow." Seiya observed a man jogging past with his little dog, adorned in a puppy vest and tiny boots to stay warm.

"I mean, Naru seems really happy," Usagi offered, digging through the diaper bag for Chibi-Usa's spoon. "When I talked with her at the cafe, she went on and on about how much she loves him and wants to be his wife. Maybe he's trying to live out the reality he wished he had."

Under Seiya's baseball cap and sunglasses disguise, her expression went dark. "But that still doesn't explain why he's intent on finishing us off."

Usagi's shoulders slumped. "He made it clear why he's doing all this – he blames me for not saving him, for not trying."

"That's ridiculous," Rei uttered, flipping her scarf back over her shoulder so forcefully she nearly knocked off Seiya's hat. "If he really loved Naru, he'd understand that she would never want this, and there was nothing more we could've done."

Luna swished her tail in agitation. "There's something deeper at play here. Why did he wait all these years to return?"

"Maybe he couldn't?" Usagi said. "Just like Galaxia needed Nehelania to awaken Sailor Saturn, maybe Nephrite needed something else to happen first!"

Rei appeared skeptical. "But what could he be waiting for? After all this time? It's been nine years."

"Beryl is defeated, we're certain of that," Luna pointed out. "He must be acting on his own."

Rei couldn't shake the nagging feeling that something more sinister lurked beneath the surface. "My gut tells me this is bigger than we realize."

Seiya reached for a wipe and passed it to Usagi.  The cracker crumbs Chibi-Usa was leaving could feed a flock of pigeons.  "We should go talk to Umino," she suggested. "This guy's been dating Naru for the past decade, supposedly."

Usagi nodded. "And he used to be my friend in middle school. Even if he doesn't know anything, I should be there for him now."

Luna hopped off the park bench. "It's worth a try. We don't have any other leads."