Chapter 10: Look at the Stars, Look How They Shine for You

💫 Drops of Starlight 💫

By StrawberryMoonRose
🍓🌙🌹

I would like to take a moment to recommend an amazing anime music video. I love making them myself and recognize the time and effort that goes into making them.

"Usagi X Seiya Yellow AMV" by julietxjulie on YouTube. It's perfection.

_________________________________
Chapter 10: Look at the Stars, Look How They Shine for You
_________________________________

"The stars are especially bright tonight," Seiya commented, peering out the living room's patio door.

Usagi was at the kitchen sink, hand-washing their dessert plates and utensils. "Are they?"

"Come and see."

Usagi dried her hands and joined her in the other room. Seiya slid the curtain aside and leaned an arm against the glass casually. As Usagi stepped near, she couldn't help but wonder if she was standing too close. But Seiya made no motion to move away.

Whatever perfume she uses, it smells so good... like flowers, Usagi thought. A faint hint of olives lingered too, just like Princess Kakyuu. It amazed her how powerful a simple scent could be, triggering emotions tied to moments long gone.

"Want to join me on the balcony?" Seiya asked. "We can see the sky better outside."

"Um..." 

The balcony, dusted with a thin layer of snow, held a pair of chairs that Mamoru frequently used for his quiet morning coffee. Usagi rarely ventured there. Rising early wasn't her strong suit, and it felt like Mamoru's space.

"You're not afraid of heights are you?" Seiya said.

"Well, I don't exactly love them."

"Hmm, no wonder you squeezed my hand so hard on that rollercoaster ride."

"Did not!"

Seiya chuckled. "Suit yourself." She draped a blanket from the couch around herself and slid the glass door open, inviting the cold in. "I'll just enjoy the view for a bit."

Usagi watched her slip her shoes on and step out into the night. After a moment of hesitation, she did the same, yanking on a nearby shawl.

"Changed your mind, Bun Head?" Seiya shot her a smile over her shoulder. She was leaning right up against the metal railing, fearlessly.

Usagi shivered and stuffed her bare hands into her pockets to keep warm. Breathing out, she saw her breath materialize in the icy air. Focusing on the glittering heavens above, she lost herself in the star-studded canvas for several peaceful minutes.

"They're bright, but it's still much harder to see the stars here," Seiya said softly.

"Too many city lights?"

"Yes, that, but it's also something about your planet. Back home, the stars appear much brighter, like your moon. Sometimes it makes it hard to fall asleep at night. Also, I've noticed that the days are shorter here. Taiki has done loads research and knows all the technical differences between our planets. It's quite interesting."

"I see..." Usagi murmured, her gaze shifting from the sky to the figure beside her. The city's muted glow painted Seiya's face with soft illumination. Her profile highlighted her high cheekbones and ski-sloped nose. The cold bestowed a pretty pink tint to her cheeks.

As if sensing Usagi's stare, Seiya turned and outstretched her arm in a subtle invitation. "Face your fears?" she asked.

Usagi's head shook with fervor.