Chapter 43: Tell Me

💫 Drops of Starlight 💫
By Strawberry Moon Rose
🍓🌙🌹

So this was weird, I actually made a drawing for this chapter before I wrote it - or even knew I was going to write it. It dawned on me afterwards why the scene seemed so familiar. It must have been subconscious or something. No need to check it out, but if you're bored and want to, it's titled "Untouchable" and dated 04/14/21 on instagram, taylorlynn.art

(It is the cover art for this fic)

_________________________________
Chapter 43: Tell Me
_________________________________

Seiya never asked what Mamoru wanted to talk about.

Opportunities presented themselves throughout the journey back home - the long descent down the shrine's stairs, the brisk walk to the train station, and the cramped ride among strangers. Yet, Seiya didn't bring it up. To Usagi, Seiya seemed intent on ignoring Mamoru altogether.

The penthouse greeted them with a solemn ambiance, darkness draped around the space like a heavy veil. Taiki met them in the hall with her reading glasses on and her fingers curled around a steaming mug of tea. Usagi recognized the sweet scent of chamomile wafting in the air; her father used to brew a cup on sleepless nights.  The fragrance made her feel like a child cosplaying an adult under these stressful circumstances.

"Naru's settled in Minako's guest room," Taiki said to Seiya. "I saw to it that she had everything she needed. Minako is sharing Yaten's room tonight. As for Yaten, she's currently up on the rooftop."

"Bit chilly for stargazing," Seiya commented.

"You know Yaten prefers the solitude to clear her mind."

"I could use some of that too," Seiya muttered to no one in particular.

"By the way, I will be staying at Ami's tonight. The Queen is vacating my room."

Seiya nodded. Under normal circumstances she would have said something about Taiki going to Ami's. But after the day Seiya had, her sense of humor had all but evaporated.

Taiki excused herself, leaving Seiya and Usagi to flounder in more awkwardness. If all of the day's interactions were compiled, it would resemble a silent film.

"Um, I should get Chibi-Usa tucked in," Usagi offered, the words tumbling out in an attempt to break the suffocating silence.

"I'll join you soon," Seiya replied, brushing past Usagi, leaving her to wonder where exactly Seiya was heading. If not for Chibi-Usa, Usagi might have trailed after her. Instead, she trudged to Seiya's room, mechanically going through the motions of the nighttime routine on autopilot.

With Chibi-Usa fast asleep in the portable crib, Usagi found herself sitting on the edge of the bed. All alone, the bedroom seemed overwhelmingly large for just one person. Silly as it seemed, Usagi feared the vastness would swallow her up. Even the shadows seemed to be leering at her.

Was Seiya lonely when she first arrived on Earth? I would have been. Searching for their lost Princess, not knowing where to start. Taiki and Yaten were the only people she knew here...

Here I am giving her a hard time, and for what? I have a past too. We're both sailor guardians who have been through a lot. We've made mistakes and loved other people before. That's okay, right? Besides, when it comes to her past, it turns out there was a lot more going on.

Time trickled by, each moment stretching into an eternity. Usagi tightened her arms around her midsection, a sense of unease creeping in. What was taking so long?