Chapter 16: Afraid That She Might Think of Me as Plain Old Jane

💫 Drops of Starlight 💫
By Strawberry Moon Rose
🍓🌙🌹

Someone was wondering how long this story will be. I can say this: it's going to be a long one, close to Wavering Destiny in length. Hope you all stick around for the ride!

_________________________________

Chapter 16: Afraid That She Might Think of Me As Plain Old Jane

_________________________________

"Are you okay?" Naru asked, sounding worried.

Usagi nodded vehemently. "Yeah, sorry, this muffin's so good, I just ate too fast!"

Suddenly she was overcome with the urge to contact her friends and tell them about her theory. If it was true, who would benefit from preventing Nephrite's death? Was anything else on the timeline messed up? And how come she was still left with the memory of how things originally were? The back of her neck felt clammy and she began wondering if Crystal Tokyo ceasing to exist played any part in this puzzle.

As the conversation with Naru continued, Usagi remembered that Michiru was also present at the cafe. Usagi made a mental note to catch her before she left. If anyone was in contact with Setsuna, it was her.

The guardian of time wasn't stationed forever by the space-time door, but surely Pluto would know if someone had traveled to the past? Perhaps another one of her time travel keys had been stolen?

It became hard to focus on their conversation. Naru was talking about her part-time job working at her mother's jewelry shop. She gushed about a beautiful ruby ring she's been hinting at, but should she insist on a diamond? Did it matter if Nephrite was never going to propose?

"Ruby would look beautiful with your complexion," Usagi said, zoning back in. "But a diamond's so classic, too..."

When Usagi brought up the subject of Umino, it sounded like Naru hadn't seen him since he landed a job as an engineer. In Naru's new present, they were just friends and always had been.

It was painful in a way, recalling how the couple had entered the affection competition and Umino lit up the giant heart as a symbol of their love. Usagi's lips stretched into a tight smile, hoping her friend wouldn't notice. She finished her muffin, unaware she hadn't tasted it until only the wrapper remained.

"This was so much fun, Usagi!" Naru said. "Let's do this again soon, alright?"

As the waiter presented the bill, Usagi rummaged in her purse when an abrupt scream pierced the air. Her head snapped up in alarm.

"What's going on?" Naru stood nervously.

Crash! A table in the next aisle flipped over. Out of nowhere, a creature reminiscent of the one Usagi and Seiya had previously encountered appeared, its sharp talons scratching the air as it balanced on its hind legs.

"Get somewhere safe!" Usagi ordered over the commotion. People surged towards the exits. Even the waiter froze in his tracks. His eyes were glued to the hideous monster with pallid skin and eerie purple eyes. The same noxious green gas oozed from its pores.

Naru didn't need to be told twice. She bolted for the door and vanished into the crowd.

"Submarine Reflection!" Sailor Neptune stood on a nearby table, aiming her mirror at the beast. A beam of energy rocketed from her talisman, striking the monster's leg. The creature cried out, a long, nails-on-chalkboard howl.

Usagi dashed down the cafe aisles, hoping for an empty bathroom or concealed space to transform. She skidded into an employee-only section, ensuring the coast was clear before, crying out, "Moon Eternal...Make UP!"