Chapter 50: There's Room to Grow

💫 Drops of Starlight 💫
By Strawberry Moon Rose
🍓🌙🌹

_________________________________
Chapter 50: There's Room to Grow
_________________________________

As Usagi and Fighter landed amidst the chaos, the battlefield erupted with immediate threats. A nearby monster pivoted its attention toward them. It charged, but Venus's Crescent Beam stopped it in its tracks. Usagi kicked the fiend, Sailor Moon style, sending it stumbling backward.

"Sparkling Wide Pressure!" Jupiter sealed its fate.

Xenon rained down another torrent of bombs. Fighter yanked Usagi out of the way at the last minute, their hearts hammering wildly at the close call. Everyone had seen what the bombs had done to Venus's arm.

Xenon attempted to attack again when a red rose whizzed by, slicing her hand. She yelped, clasping the scratch and glaring at Tuxedo Mask. A perfect distraction.

"Why you...!" Xenon's temper flared. "Neon Chakra Strike!" One of Sailor Neon's attacks rolled toward the masked man in the form of a green wave.

Jupiter shoved him out of the way while Uranus launched her World Shaking straight for Xenon, who raised a palm and absorbed the golden sphere effortlessly. Her wild hair brightened.

Uranus growled under her breath, "How are we supposed to attack her then?"

"Focus on the monsters," Neptune strategized, standing back-to-back with her partner. "Then we'll target the crystals in the rock."

"I like the way you think."

The others noticed Fighter and Usagi's presence on the battlefield and unanimously gave them cover. Healer and Venus scaled down the ledge, joining the others.

"Watch out!" Luna cried after them, pointing a paw. A monster was poised to strike Healer!  Reacting swiftly, the cat sprung off the ledge, claws extended. She landed atop the beast's head, clinging and swiping its menacing face.

"Luna!" Artemis bellowed, rushing down to aid her.

"Venus! Love and Beauty Shock!"

The fiend crumbled, and Luna landed safely on the ground where it once stood. Healer shot her a grateful look as Artemis swept to his companion's side.

Meanwhile, Fighter crept forward with her sword, each step getting closer to Xenon with Usagi right on her heels.

Suddenly, a monster charged at them from behind. Usagi spun, shoving it into the cave wall with her bare hands. It howled, shook its head, and charged again, only to meet its fatal end with Neptune's Submarine Reflection.

While the team fought off the army of fiends, Mars took to the far corner, sending arrows flying at the crystal power sources. Xenon took note of this.

"Vapor Release!" Violet lightning bolts engulfed Mars. She cried out in anguish, falling to her knees.

"Mars!" Mercury rushed to her side.

"I'm fine," Mars insisted, legs trembling like a baby deer as she stood. She drew another arrow and pointed it straight at Xenon.

"Don't fire," Mercury told her. "You'll only fuel her power."

Mars clenched her jaw. It was so damn tempting. Xenon held her gaze, tauntingly, as if hoping Mars would shoot. Her childish demeanor was irksomely grating on her nerves.

While Mars engaged Xenon, Fighter and Usagi crept along the perimeter. Despite their cautious movements, Mars sensed their presence, refraining from direct eye contact, fearing it would alert Xenon. Surely Xenon had seen them a moment ago, but she seemed unconcerned. Their objective was clear: to keep Xenon occupied for just a while longer.