Chapter 8: Payphone

💫 Drops of Starlight💫

By StrawberryMoonRose
🍓🌙 🌹

Everyone has great theories about Nephrite's return and so many questions! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far, and I love reading your comments.

Disclaimer: I do not own Sailor Moon or any of the characters. They belong to Naoko Takeuchi.
_________________________________
Chapter 8: Payphone
_________________________________

It felt like her skin was tingling all over. Every muscle tensed. Usagi's eyebrows pulled together and quivered.

"How...can this be?" she stammered.

Nephrite's somehow alarming blue eyes locked with her own. He looked the same as she remembered - the high bridge of his nose, and soft sharp lips. He was definitely considered handsome, with a tall, muscular frame contoured by his sweater. His lusciously thick hair was his best feature, flowing in impeccable waves to the small of his back.

"You can't be alive...!" Usagi blurted. "This can't be..."

"Usagi?" Naru's eyes widened in alarm. 

Usagi turned to her friend. "Naru, how is he here? I saw him die, you saw him die! Don't you remember?"

Naru's features scrunched up in irritation. "What on earth are you talking about?"

Usagi couldn't shake the confusion and panic that gripped her. "Naru, this doesn't make sense..."

Nephrite interjected, his voice as rich as dark chocolate. "Usagi, perhaps you are confusing me with someone else. Naru and I have been dating for the past nine years. It's understandable if time has clouded your memory, but it seems you've mistaken me for someone else."

Usagi's head spun. No, maybe it was the room. She brought her hand to her forehead. Did she have a fever? Was she trapped in some sort of surreal dream?

"Usagi, perhaps you're not feeling too well," Naru said gingerly. "You should take it easy. This time of year can be really stressful if you don't get enough rest."

"Yeah..." was all Usagi could get out. Nephrite slid his arm around Naru's delicate frame.

"We had better get going," Naru said. "We have other plans..."

"Okay..." Usagi blinked hard and fast, trying to focus.

"Take it easy, okay, Usagi?" Naru continued, her tone soothing as she glanced at Chibi-Usa. "Rest a little and you'll feel better."

"Yeah..."

"I'll call you," Naru added. "I'd love to hang out soon and catch up."

"Sure," Usagi managed, her voice sounding distant even to her own ears. She watched Naru and Nephrite leave arm in arm, their forms melting into the crowd.

Seiya returned from the bathroom shortly after.

"I wasn't sure which restroom to use," Seiya said with a laugh. "I initially headed towards the womens', but this lady gave me a weird look, and I figured if I'm going to pretend I'm Seiya Kou, I better act like I'm a guy again. So I opted for the mens', but I had to use the stall because, well, urinals and obvious reasons."

Seiya expected her to laugh, but when there was no response, she waved her hand in front of Usagi's vacant expression.

"Sorry, Seiya, what were you saying?" Usagi turned.

"Whoa, Bun Head. You look like you just saw a ghost." Seiya noticed her glossy-eyed expression and how her skin was the color of sheets.

"I think I did just see a ghost," she replied.