Chapter 11: Monsters of the Past

💫 Drops of Starlight 💫
By StrawberryMoonRose
🍓🌙 🌹

_________________________________

Chapter 11: Monsters of the Past, Monsters of the Present
_________________________________

"Everything okay, Naru?" Usagi gripped the telephone receiver so tightly that her knuckles turned white.

A familiar voice floated through the line, warm and reassuring. "Yes, everything's fine. I was just calling to wish you a Merry Christmas! I couldn't find your name in the phone book, so I called your mom and she gave me your number."

Usagi let out a big breath of air. "Oh, Merry Christmas to you too!" She was sure Naru had been looking under "Tsukino" when it would have been under "Chiba".

"Listen, Usagi. I was just thinking about yesterday. You were acting kind of off, I wanted to be sure you're doing alright."

Usagi pulled at the back of her neck. "Oh! Sorry about that. I don't know what got into me. I didn't mean to be rude."

"That's alright, I forgive you. That's what friends are for! Anyway, I was wondering if you'd like to get together soon? Maybe grab a coffee or something. Do you drink coffee?"

"No, but I'm up for a hot chocolate!"

"That's perfect! There's this great little cafe that has the best scones."

"Did you say scones?"

Naru's laugh was light and airy. "Yep! Say, are you free tomorrow morning? I've got some time off work this week."

"Yes!"

"Sounds great, meet me at nine at The Coffee Goat? It's across the street from my mom's jewelry shop."

"Yes, I'll see you then, Naru!"

"Great! Bye, Usagi."

The conversation ended, leaving Usagi with a sense of anticipation. She returned to the living room, her eyes landing on Seiya, who'd moved to the couch with Chibi-Usa on her lap. Usagi flashed back to the interrupted moment and felt the butterflies return to her stomach.

"It was Naru? Is she okay?"

Usagi nodded, holding her arm against her body awkwardly. "Um, yeah. She invited me to get coffee with her tomorrow morning."

"That's great. Maybe she'll have some insights about Nephrite."

"Yeah..." Usagi settled into the recliner near the couch. "Of course, I'm going to keep my ears open, but part of me just wants to catch up, you know? I feel bad, she was my best friend in eighth grade, and when I became a sailor guardian and began hanging out with the others, I kind of ditched her. I didn't even know she went to a different high school. I just thought we got into different classes."

"It wasn't on purpose, so don't beat yourself up about it."

"I just want to make it up to her. She says she has time off work, but I don't even know where she works or if she went to college or anything!"

"This will be good for you then." Chibi-Usa started fussing in Seiya's arms, turning her head to her chest and pulling on her shirt. "Looks like someone's hungry." Seiya smiled and passed her to Usagi, a natural gesture that spoke of their increasing familiarity.

"If it makes you feel any better, Bun Head, there were a lot of people I grew apart from when I became a Sailor Starlight. Taiki and Yaten too."

"I'm sorry to hear that, Seiya. Will you tell me how you became a sailor guardian?" Usagi asked, relaxed in the lounger. With it being Chibi-Usa's soon-to-be nap time, she would have a good hour or two to spare just holding her.