Chapter 2 - In the Rain

It was 6:00 am. I looked at myself in the mirror. Was Ian really going to pick me up? I still felt sorry for being mean to him. He really looked somewhat lonely and I acted like an insensitive crybaby.

I was ready to go to school.  It was 6:25 and I plan to walk again to school. Ian might have forgotten about me anyway. Eng Lit was boring and so was Algebra. I walked towards my locker and saw Ian standing near there. Oh gosh, did he come at my house? Was he mad now? I decided to hide but too late, he saw me.

“Hey.” He went straight up to me.

“Hi.” I took a step back.

“You weren’t at your house and I.. well I waited for you.”

“I’m sorry.. I really am! I thought you might have forgotten about me so..”

I felt so bad. I couldn’t even look at his eyes.

“That means only one thing, Amy.”

“What?”

“You’d be having lunch with me not only today but also tomorrow.”

“What? But why? I mean.. Why?” I blushed as I looked at his face.

“So that we’re even. Come on, let’s have lunch.” Ian winked at me and that was it. I swear my nose just bled.

“Here’s my list for summer. Let’s do it together.” He handed me a crumpled paper.

1. Gain more muscles.

2. Get drunk.

3. Kiss on the beach.

4. Make a strawberry cheesecake.

5. Buy pearl earrings.

6. Get a giant bruise.

7. Sleep in my car for a night

8. Go to an art gallery.

9. Paint my car.

10. Be happy

I looked at Ian. He was turning red.

“Well.. what do you think?” He was clearly shy about his list.

“You want me to gain muscles too?”

Ian laughed hysterically. “No, but you could be my motivation.”

“Get drunk..and  ki.. ki.. kiss..”

“Oh don’t worry, I won’t be doing that other one with you.”

Of course. He would not kiss me. What was I expecting? I wish  I just didn’t said that kiss thing.

“The reason I’m showing you this is.. I’ve got no one else with me. I did something to my friends and yeah, that pissed them off. I just want to start again you know? You seem like the first right step.”

I smiled at his statement. It was okay If he just saw me as another stepping stone to his happiness. I’d do it for Ian.

He drove me to home again. I mustered enough courage to tell him what’s been bugging me.

“Um Ian? I’m sorry for being mean to you when you first talked to me. I’m sorry for being.. um, stupid.”

Ian patted my head. “Nah it’s okay. I might came in a bit too forward for you. Just two things that I would like you to change.”

“Okay, what is it?”

“Stop saying um and smile more. You’re pretty when you smile Amy.”

"That's not true." I lowered my head.

Ian stopped the car. We were still a half block away from my house.

“Is something wrong?”

"You're always like that, Amy. Doubting and underestimating yourself. You're always alone. I wish you could see yourself in the right way."

"But.. I can see myself clearly and what I see is something that is not.. beautiful. I'm perfectly okay being alone.. I grew up differently.. I don't think you or anybody else will understand so.." I stopped talking. I fought the urge to cry. All the bitter memories of my childhood were coming back. Ian noticed.

"Amy.. I didn't mean to hurt you. I'm sorry. You don't need to hide it. I'm here."

"When you first talked to me, you were hiding something too. You tried to smile but I can see from your eyes you were just begging for some kind of help. You looked lonely.. just like me." I blurted out in a hushed tone.

Ian looked surprised and he was lost for words.

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry! I didn’t.. I didn’t mean it! I was.. I’m just so sorry!”  I covered my face in embarrassment.

“No. You’re right.” Ian whispered as he pulled my hands off my face. His eyes just penetrated my soul and I was lost at the moment. He moved closer. His eyes roamed from my eyes to my lips. I felt his warm breath and my toes curled. I heard rain pouring down. The skies got darker and it was just me and Ian.

"I did hide that loneliness I felt.. but I'm doing something to change it, Amy."

I took a deep breath and slowly exhaled while Ian’s face brushed mine. He gently kissed my neck as his hand rested on my shoulder. The rain got stronger. I closed my eyes as my breathing got heavier. Ian kissed my jaw, my cheek. His face was so close I can feel its warmth. I just closed my eyes and felt his lips on my lips. It was a gentle kiss. There was a bit of pressure on my upper lip as he sent shivers to my spine.

As our bodies collide, I saw a dark figure on the headlights. It was of a man’s. His face was all black but I saw him smile. There were glowing outlines of a mouth on his face. I gently pushed Ian and pointed to the figure but before Ian could see him, he vanished into thin air.

“What was it?” Ian kissed my forehead.

“I thought I saw someone.. Must be my imagination.”