32 : Something Is Wrong

Start from the beginning

"Sorry, what did I say?" his grandmother asked cluelessly.

"Grandma, do you want to eat? I brought some green apples, your favorite fruit." Hajoon interrupted our conversation, walking to the other side of bed and offered his Mrs. Wi an apple.

"Aww, Hajoon, thank you. Have you seen your grandpa? He should be washing his aquarium today." she took the apple from Hajoon's hand before taking a bite.

"Yeah, he's currently doing it."

I had no idea of what was going on but I thought it was related to his grandmother's Alzheimer's and him playing along with whatever she's saying.

He took care of her and I just watched them silently as she didn't seem to notice me even though I was beside her all the time. One time, she called a woman's name and Hajoon whispered that it was his late mother's name. I didn't know how to react to that.

He also referred Hajoon as her husband, her child and then her doctor. I finally understood where Hajoon got his acting skill from.

"Sunyoung? Why are you so quiet?" his grandma asked again. She did remember me all of a sudden.

"Hmm, I was listening to you talking."

"Talk what? I want to sleep. You should get some rest too."

-

"Severe Alzheimer's and she needs to go for dialysis treatment as she has only one kidney functioning. Recently, it seemed that it got some problems and due to that, she needs some extra care for the time being. Her heart is weak too." Hajoon explained.

The cold wind nipped at my face and I had to place my palm to the cheek so I could warm up a bit. It was already night. We had spent the time at the hospital since the afternoon since Hajoon had so much forms he had to fill in for his grandma's upcoming treatments.

"Has it been since a very long time ago?"

"Since we were in highschool. She only had a mild Alzheimer's back then but it got worse. And to be honest, there's only a tiny hope for her to survive. I'm not confident she would make it. I can't stand to see her like this anymore."

His eyes were looking at the sky and then moved the empty roads. His chin was rested on his palm and there was no emotion expressed on his face.

I tried to search for words that wouldn't sound insensitive but as I was never in his shoes, I wasn't sure what to say. "I'm sorry to hear that. I hope everything works out as you want."

"Thanks. Who told you about this anyway? About my grandma being sick, and the hospital..?"

"You didn't know? Well, I was told to come here for the press. But, don't take it that way. I actually come here to give you some supports as your friend."

"I really don't understand about these dating stuffs. Do they really need to do it to this point? I'm not mad at you though, I just feel they should've thought better. They are really thinking my grandma's health is something good for the press and fame? Inhumane, stupid, disgusting. I really want to consider about quitting this bullshit and rather gettting little pay by doing something else."

"I understand how you feel. Things are harsh in the beginning but I promise it'll get better soon."

"Thanks. And thanks for coming with a good intention. You should go home. It's already late." He turned to face me. His worried look changed to a relaxed one.

"Alright, you too. Don't forget to have enough rest." I patted his back before leaving him.

-

I opened the bedroom and saw Rosé was already tucked in the comforter. It's almost midnight and I guessed she was already asleep. I took a quick shower and dressed in my camisole and short pants before I slid in the comforter, facing her back.

I noticed that she wasn't snoring so it's either she just fell asleep or she wasn't asleep yet. I slid my arm between her arm and waist, embracing her body and l placed a few kisses on her cheek.

She wasn't asleep yet.

"Are you pretending to be asleep?" I whispered.

She didn't answer and I had to leave some more, trailing my lips down to her neck. She motioned for a bit and her breathing became a bit unstable. I moved my hand against her bare tummy, drawing circles while giving subtle kisses on her shoulder.

"Stop." she said as she shifted her body, avoiding future contacts.

I backed off for a bit but my hand was still wrapping her. "What's wrong?"

"I'm sleepy."

It was unusual but maybe it was true that she's sleepy. I fixed the blanket on her before I rested my head on the pillow again, trying not to think of anything. But, it was too hard to pretend as if everything was fine.

"Good night, Rosé. I love you so much." I embraced her from the back but this time I made sure I gave her enough space, just in case she didn't feel comfortable with it.

As expected, she didn't respond to that and I thought it would be better if I let her have some space for the time being.

"Then, you shouldn't come home this late."