Chapter: 42 Disaster doesn't knock

Veronica

"Lexi?" I called her name out as I untied my shoes and neatly placed them on the rack. I walked inside her apartment and take my regular spot on her barcalounger. 

Her place is exactly the same, nothing changed. Retro carpets, brick walls, and vases along with the hanging pots with artificial flowers on the windows.

I notice a couple of new refrigerator magnets by the kitchen and I don't know if I'm putting the pattern right or not but one of the magnets seems to be for me. A letter L in red is crossed off and tell me if I'm being paranoid but I think it means Leonard and the cross is her way of saying I should break up with him.

Seriously I don't understand. I thought we cleared all the negative assumptions about him so why get a magnet that could mean literally anything but it has to be this. 

I got up and walk to the kitchen opening the fridge and getting a beer before closing it a little harder to let the magnets fall but they didn't.

I support my arms on the counter and silently stare at the magnets when the stepping sound of someone makes me turn my face,

"Veronica is that you?" Lexi walked into the living room, her hair rolled in a towel as she takes a stand near me,

I smile at her, "so mam, would you care your reasons for inviting me" 

"I rather bite but if you have time then catch up with me" she threw the towel on the couch and took a blow drier out from one of the drawers in the living room. 

She placed herself in between the intersection dividing the kitchen with the living room "I was thinking we could throw a baby shower for Kelly" she plugs the drier in the socket and blow-dries her hair,

"Is that really why you called me? baby shower?" something seems off about Lexi today. She's not being blunt or direct instead she's avoiding a topic that I know includes Leonard.

"Not at first, but we can talk about that" she turns and gestures me to help her to blow dry. I put the beer can on the table and walk up to her, "Kelly's running her fifth month and after thanksgiving, she'll start the sixth month so why not"

I tilt her head a little for a comfortable position and better access to her roots, "all right" 

After a few minutes of styling each other's hair, we decide to step out for a much-needed break. Things right now are very exhausting for our brains so a little peace wouldn't hurt. 

We step on the gas and made our way to the mall. A whole day of just shopping, eating, getting crazy, and forgetting our problems seems like the best getaway.

Lexi parks the car inside the basement of the mall and we directly take the elevator to the fifth floor. 

"Seems like forever since we had a time to ourselves" Lexi fix her lipstick through the adjoining mirror inside the elevator while continuing the conversation, "I feel like after the Leonard incident we kinda drifted apart"

I adjust some curls on my hair while stealing a few glances at her " not drifted per se, we just never got the time for us"

"huh, it took us really long to have a day, just us" she settles her scarf in a knot and arms my elbow.

"Well let's not waste minutes then now that we finally got some stretch"

We exit the elevator and head straight for the kid's department, "a change of scenario doesn't always turn out this cute" I said holding a little cowboy outfit in front of Lexi as we share a laugh. 

We went around the aisle and searched for more baby clothes. Who knew baby clothes also have so many options to choose from, overalls, little onesies, and my favorite the tiny socks for their tiny feet,