Chapter: 38 Home is where your Mom is

Veronica

"Kelly?" I walk inside my apartment, throwing the shoes on the floor and putting the takeouts on the table, "I brought food" I looked around the room but she wasn't there, maybe she's out.

You know what that means, I finally got some time for myself. I quickly slip my fur slippers and hop on the couch, resting my head on the headboard and letting a long breath out, "I'm tired" a yawn escapes my mouth and I slowly close my eyes thinking about the car ride I had with Leonard.

*Thirty minutes ago*

"What?" he asks dumbfounded

I creek a smile " wasn't the main point of our meeting was Rome?" I gesture towards the Seasons building reminding him why we were here in the first place. 

I was supposed to answer him but got caught up in something else, "right?" he looks at the building as he remembers the very thing he asked me,

"you want to come?" he said not believing that I agreed just like that, maybe he thought I would hold back because of our situation and the stupid media complications but I don't want to deal with any of this. I need a break and maybe a change of scenery will help both of us.

"you know we'll have to stay till New Year's" 

I nod my head giving him the answer to whatever his brain is being suspicious about, "Veronica" he shrugs still being unsure,

"yes?" I lean my head against the window and watch him struggling to say the words of doubt which is one of the reasons why most couples don't last. They hesitate and pull back, keeping the stuff inside them when they should have done the opposite

I pulled the seatbelt and shifted closer to him, "say it" I mouthed the words like an order while cupping his face and assuring whatever he's hesitating to speak is something I'm already familiar with.

I know he's hesitant that I'll have second thoughts about spending Christmas together, welcoming a new year with him, and more so isolating myself with him for a month. 

It'll just be us and no one else and that idea not only freaks him out but even dragged me in it too, although I did a lot of thinking in the elevator and came up with a forefront answer of yes considering all the reasons and things that could go wrong.

As much as I was nervous and scared about this trip, I still wanted to give it a try, to be alone with him, away from this hustle, and spend at least some time without anxiety, fear, or doubts.

"You do realize that you will spend both New Year and Christmas with me?" 

"Yes, what's your point?" 

"Nothing" he shakes his head and goes back to his seat, 

"You know, you, yourself asked me to come?" I cross my arms and give him my good R.I.P stare after the "nothing" stunt he pulled in front of me. I seriously hate that word, unlike its name it has totally different meaning, behind the nothing mask there is a hidden meaning that says there's more than nothing, like the word "fine" which is very dangerous in an argument. 

He meets my eyes and quickly diverts it, " yes but I didn't know you would say yes" 

"So you want me to say no?" my brows furrowed,

"No, I mean I just want to make sure you've thought about this" he puts his hand on my thighs softly rubbing it, " seeing how you're in a controversial situation with your past and Nicole, I thought you would wait for things to calm down"

"That's more of a reason to take this trip" I glance outside the window and my eyes are stuck at a piece of billboard that had my face in it and beside it was written justice in bold letters.