Chapter 4: Hospital

She's in an accident they said, nothing big but she still needs to stay for a week for internal injuries.

Why does this feel like a deja vu? I remember the day when I first saw the horrors of a hospital, the day when I lost the precious thing of my life, the day that is responsible for all the loneliness night I've spent all this time, 

I know kelly would be okay, she has to. I can't afford to reminisce this day too whenever a hospital comes to my view like now, 

Thinking about my dad, his fading heartbeat, and how I missed the last words  of him cause I was busy chasing that woman,

17 years ago,

"where is your, mom child?

The lady at the hospital asks me. My mom, she was supposed to come five hours ago but she didn't. Her flight got delayed..

"Is this the child that came with that man?" a man wearing a white coat asks the nurse.

Tears keep flowing down my cheeks as I saw my dad in the hospital bed, covered with bandages, tubes, and few life support machines. Six gunshots, six holes were in his body. He was dying and I know that even though the doctors tried their best to keep it from me.

I am seven, not stupid. I can see my father fighting for his life. Why did he do that? Why did he took the shots? Why left me here alone to deal with this pain? WHYYYYY???

He wanted to protect that lady, right? she should be here. She should see my father, dying because of her. "WHERE ARE YOU?" I yelled, my face covered in tears, as I run like a maniac in this big hospital looking for that woman.

"Veronica" I heard my mom. She was crying... why is she crying?? Dad is still alive... He is still breathing... right?

I ran towards her and tightly hug her, "dad" I try to speak; my voice breaking with each tear. She pick me up and took me to see dad for the last time but it was too late, 

The machines betrayed him, his pulse was not showing on the monitor and even though I know what the next words of the doctor would be, I fooled myself into believing that he'll live, but he didn't. 

The monitor was showing a flat line, with no pulse, no heartbeat, "I'm sorry Mrs. Walker" the doctor finally said the words breaking my mom forever, 

The next day all the Tv channels, the newspapers, and magazines praised my dad's bravery. They honored him as a fearless cop who risked his life for a civilian. Every headline mentioned my dad.

"BRAVE COP DIES AFTER SAVING A PREGNANT LADY FROM A BANK ROBBERY"

"FEARLESS COP JOSH WALKER DIES A TRAGIC DEATH"

"A COP FOR THE RESCUE DIES FROM A BANK ROBBERY"

They all praised him and soon the words spread about his bravery but they forgot one thing, he had a family who silently became a victim. For them, it's an honorable achievement, but for us, it was a loss of our loved ones. My dad died, my father ... he left me and mom alone to deal with this baseless sympathy."

Present

When I got the call from the hospital, I was afraid; Terrified actually, knowing I can't handle the loss of another loved one. Kelly is one my closest friend,we have many shared memories together, but this, I don't want to count as one.

I suddenly remember the day when it all started, the pain I felt that day was unbearable, it was so suffocating, I couldn't breathe, I couldn't stop crying. I was hopeless....a part of me died that day when I realized what I lost. My father, my life, my pride, my everything left me.