Chapter 49

He doesn't find Luke when he goes to gather his stuff. Instead of that, he finds a half-empty closet. The only things inside of it are his own and Luke seems to be long gone. New checks every room, but him and his belongings are no longer there. He goes to the bedroom and sits on his bed, his head in his hands. 

"How did things change overnight?" He asks himself.

He remembers last night. Luke and he were getting ready for the dinner, everything perfectly fine. They went there together, hand in hand and in no time all of that fell into the water.

His phone buzzes with a new text in that moment. When he unlocks it, Luke's name flashes across the screen. New's heartbeat is loud in his ears as he reads.

"You are probably back. I left for Spain before you could even bother to explain. I loved you, you know? But with the time, it was only becoming convenient for us to be together. Love vanished before we even realized. Not all of it, I guess, since you never stopped loving Tay Tawan. Tell him he's got a mean swing, the fucker. But what he did is understandable. I regret for treating you like that. I'm sorry, New. I'll send you the stuff you left at my place as soon as possible. As you can see, we can't keep this going. Please go back to him, I know you still love him and he's the one who should be with you. I wish you luck. xx"

He threw his phone against the wall and watched it shatter in a hundred pieces. His boyfriend was long gone and his relationship was shattered like his phone, along with a piece of him.

He didn't cry as he got up and got out on the balcony. Maybe this is how it's supposed to be, like Arm said. And he's been hurt before, he'll get over it.

*

Tay looks at his girlfriend. She's sitting on the bed, waiting for him to climb into the bed with her, but that's the last thing he's thinking about.

He shakes his head. "No, Namtan."

She snorts angrily. "Why the hell not?" She snaps. "You've been avoiding this and avoiding me for days. I don't know what's wrong."

Because you're dumb as hell, Tay thinks. She doesn't see what's right in front of her nose. "You and I, that's what's wrong." He says.

"What?"

Tay sighs. "Look, Namtan. I'm not in love with you."

Her breath hitches. "Wait." She says. "Before you even go on... are you breaking up with me?"

"Yes." He says, not hesitating even for a beat.

She jumps up from the bed. "Why?"

"Because we're not gonna work. And you should be with someone who's gonna care about you." He explains.

"You are so full of shit!" She screams. "I know there's another woman in your life!"

He snorts. "There really isn't."

"Don't lie to me, Tay Tawan. I know there's someone."

Tay looks up at her. "Oh there is."

Her brow furrows in confusion. "But you said..."

"I said there wasn't a woman." Come on, put two and two together, dammit.

"A man?" She blurts out. Bravo, Tay thinks. "You're gay?" Tay nods. There's no point in denying it. He doesn't have to hide anymore. "What the hell? Then why were you with me?"

"Because you weren't originally supposed to stay. I'm not repulsed by women, I just like guys more. And it's not my fault you didn't get the memo."

She paces around the room, her hands on her head. "I can't believe it. I was so damn stupid. You are such an asshole." She says as she starts picking up her clothes. "I'm leaving you." She pulls on her clothes.

"I'm sorry if I hurt you." He says. She might be shallow and annoying, but he can see that she's hurting. She shakes her head as she reaches the door. She pauses in the doorway and turns to look at him. "Is it worth it? Is he worth it?"

Tay nods. "I've loved him for years. I've also hurt him very badly and I have to do everything to get him back, so..." He smiles. "Yeah, he's worth it."

She nods. "Have a great life, Tay." She says and leaves right after.

Tay smiles to the empty room. He's not going to waste this chance, he swears.

His phone buzzes and brings him out of his thoughts. He smiles when he grabs it and Off's name flashes on the screen.

"Would u, Tay Tawan, do us the honor of spending the Christmas Eve wasted, under a Christmas tree with us? :D There's a party. He said he'd b very happy if you'd attend and I rly wanna see u again. Pretty pls? :) xx"

Tay stares at the message. He's going to have his chance sooner than he thought. He responds quickly, while laughing at his friend's cuteness.

"LOL, Off. Ofc I'll b there. Wouldn't miss it for anything. Text me the address. xx"

New's going to be there, the realization hits him again. He facepalms.

"What am I gonna do?" He says out loud and laughs nervously, running his other hand through his hair.