Chapter 8 - Living In Peace

When Natasha went into the infirmary where Vienna was still resting, her little sister was asleep on Kate Bishop's shoulder. She smiled as she watched Kate stroke Vienna's hair. Nat only stood in the doorway for a moment before Kate looked up and saw her.

"Oh sorry," She smiled nervously, going to move off the bed, "I can get out of your way if you want to see her."

"No, no, don't move her," Natasha reassured her as she stepped forward, "she needs the rest. Did she wake up at all?"

"A little, when I came in but she fell back asleep when she lay on my shoulder," Kate told her, looking back down at Vienna's sleeping face. It was still covered in cuts and bruises and she had casts on her wrist and leg. She wasn't going to get back to health anytime soon but just being awake would be a win for her at this point.

Natasha nodded as she sat in the chair next to Vienna's bed. Her right arm and hand was tightly bandaged still but she took it into her own anyway.

Vienna began to stir, opening her eyes slowly and looking down at her sister.

"Hey, malysh," (little one) Natasha said softly, "do you understand me okay? how are you feeling?"

"Better," Vienna told her, her voice gravely from the vent, "it doesn't hurt so much anymore."

"Brains working okay too huh," Natasha joked, rubbing her thumb across the back of Vienna's hand.

"Yeah, not so foggy," Vienna smiled, turning her head a little and flinching at the pain, "I'll be back on my feet in a few days."

"No you won't," Natasha said firmly, "you're not going anywhere anytime soon, just rest okay, and take it slowly. You need to get better no matter how long it takes."

"I'll be fine," Vienna chuckled wincing at every movement, "I've been beaten bloodier than this."

"Really?" Natasha asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah, but never with the added toxin from an alien from another universe," Vienna said, leaning her head back onto Kate's shoulder, "that really threw me off, it's a lot like a nerve agent but a lot worse."

"You don't have to keep doing this job you know," Natasha said softly, "I can set you up with a place wherever you want, you can live however you want to."

"I know," Vienna smiled at her as she rolled her head closer to Kate, "but I like it here, and I don't know how to do anything else. And I don't want to learn."

"Okay," Natasha said, getting up from the chair and patting Vienna on the head before she left, "has Yelena come to see you?"

"Yeah, she came by earlier," Vienna told her, "she had some stuff to do, she'll be back later."

"Okay," Natasha smiled, tapping the door frame as she left the room, leaving Vienna to sleep.

With Sidorov in the compound Natasha was sure that one of them would want to speak with the other. Vienna had come a long way and she didn't want anything to take that away from her. They would have to keep her safe until he leaves.