Chapter 10 - Gone

Natasha had gotten a phone call so she'd stepped to the side as Yelena stood in front of the door to where Vienna was being kept. She wanted to run through everything Vienna could say to her, trying to think of their every interaction to prepare herself.

"Are you alright?" Melina asked, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"I don't know what she's gonna say to me," Yelena told her, not taking her eyes off of the door.

"It'll be okay," Melina said gently, "whatever she says, all she's trying to do is throw you off guard. Her commanders have had years to mold her and condition her into whatever they wanted, but the fact that she still knows us means that she's still in there. We can't give up."

"I know," Yelena said, finally looking up at Melina, "I just want to be prepared."

As they were talking, Natasha had finished her phone call and came over to them.

"Hey, that was Steve," Nat explained as they turned to look at her, "he needs my help so I can't stay."

"Someone enjoys her soldier boys," Yelena joked, knowing that she would get a reaction out of Natasha.

"It's not--" Natasha started but stopped when she processed Yelena's smirk, "you know what? Whatever."

"How's Alexei?" Melina asked, leaning to so see if she could see him past Natasha.

"In pieces, she really ripped into him," Nat told her, "he knows what she's trying to do but he thinks she sounded genuine. Like she meant it."

"We all had to do things we didn't want to," Melina said, taking a deep breath, "they used to make him do it because they knew it hurt him too. A punishment for all parties."

"Yeah," Nat sighed, "I want to talk to her before I go. I don't want to leave her without a word again."

Nat nodded towards the door, her heart clenching as she went to put a hand on the door handle.

"You know exactly what she's going to say to you," Yelena warned her.

"I know," Nat said, pulling down the handle, "but I relive that moment all the time when I sleep. She's gonna need more than shock factor with me."

Natasha opened the door to see Vienna watching her as she came in.

"How are you?" Natasha asked, stepping over to the dresser in front of the chair so that she could sit down.

Vienna didn't speak.

"Listen, I've got to leave but I'll be coming back okay," Natasha explained, "I've got to help a friend with something but after that's done I'm going to come back and check on you."

"Forgive me if I don't hold my breath," Vienna said coldly, "you don't have the best track record."

"I did try," Natasha said, keeping herself together as she thought back to the day she lost Vienna, "I tried to get Barton to turn the jet around to go back for you. We both knew it was suicide but I didn't want to leave you behind."

"How kind," Vienna shifted her foot but Natasha didn't take note, "How's Yelena?"

"You shot her."

"I know that," Vienna spat defensively, "but she's okay?"

"She should be yes," Nat smiled, watching the concern on Vienna's face, "I wouldn't try shooting her again though."

"No," Vienna chuckled, pulling her hands into her lap, "I guess that wouldn't help much."

"How did you get out of that?" Natasha asked, immediately standing up as she noted that Vienna was now completely untied.

"Mysteries are more fun if they stay mysterious," Vienna shrugged, her calm demeanour shifting in a second as Natasha went to grab her.

In three swift moves, Vienna was up and behind Natasha with the knife that Nat carried on the side of her leg. Vienna held the blade against Natasha's throat to keep her from moving.

"Okay, okay," Nat breathed carefully, trying to keep Vienna as calm as possible, "it's alright, just take it easy."

"No, I'm leaving," Vienna whispered into her ear, knowing that the others would be on the other side of the door, "now either I kill you or you let me go."

"Alright," Natasha sighed, knowing that they could go after her once she was out the window, "you can go. I won't stop you."

Carefully, Vienna removed the knife from her throat and backed away from Natasha. She kept her eyes on her until she reached the window then she turned and disappeared down the side of the building.

"Shit," Natasha breathed before calling back through the door, "she's gone! Out the window, I'll follow, someone cut her off!"

Nat ran to the window to see which direction she had gone but the street was empty. As fast as she could she climbed out the window and down the fire escape. She chose a direction and ran. At the end of the alley was another street, this time it was teeming with strangers, they would never find her in this crowd.

"Where is she?" Yelena panted as she skidded to a halt next to Natasha.

"Gone."

End of part 1