Chapter 3 - Patching Up

Clint had left almost immediately after the conversation ended, leaving the girls to sort themselves out. They had sat in silence for a little while but then Yelena stood from her chair and went to grab two blankets from the airing cupboard for herself and Vienna.

Vienna went to stand up to follow her sister through to the living room but Kate stopped her.

"Wait a minute," she said sweetly, placing a hand gently on Vienna's arm, "you're gonna get blood on the couch if you sleep like that."

Kate stood up from her chair and turned to walk into the kitchen. Vienna frowned a little as she touched her fingers to her face, pulling them back to see patches of blood on them. She had forgotten about the cut on her face, she hadn't thought it was that bad. She looked up when she heard Kate coming back. The young archer had a first aid kit in her hands as she pulled her chair closer to Vienna's.

"Here," Kate smiled, lifting Vienna's chin so that she could see the cut better in the light.

Vienna didn't speak as Kate dabbed the blood away and cleaned the cut she had made. She placed two paper stitches on Vienna's cheek to hold it shut before removing her hands from Vienna's face and sitting back in her chair.

"Sorry about that," Kate said, smiling as she brought her hands into her lap, "it's just you were attacking my mentor, I couldn't exactly let you kill him."

"It's okay," Vienna reassured her, barely turning her head as she looked at her, "I would've done worse. I don't blame you."

There was a brief silence before Kate spoke again, "can I ask you something?"

Vienna gave a slight nod.

"You and your sister, your staying. Even though you already talked to Clint about what you wanted to. Why?" Kate asked, watching Vienna's blank expression closely.

"Are you asking us to leave?" Vienna asked.

"No," Kate chuckled slightly, playing with her fingers as she looked down into her lap, "if anything, I wanna ask you to dance."

"To dance?" Vienna looked amused, breaking the emotionless barrier she held.

Kate laughed a little as she brought her knees back together after shuffling back, "Clint and I, we hunt down bad guys. Some mob boys are holding a little soiree tomorrow, if you want to come."

Vienna's smile was faint but it was there.

"Well, sleep on it," Kate smiled standing up from her chair as Yelena reentered the room.

Her comment made Vienna laugh more than the invitation, though, with Yelena there she might be able to sleep a little. It used to work before, sleeping close to someone she trusted, but those nightmares weren't nearly as bad as the ones she had now. Still, it might be worth a shot.