Chapter 16 - Off World

The field area outside the Avengers compound was half filled with Captain Marvel's space ship. A group of them had gathered in front of the ship, ready to get Vienna off world to avoid the consequences of her own actions.

Vienna was still a little out of it from when she'd shot one of the last people responsible for her life long torment.

"Solnyshko," Melina said softly as the chatter bounced its way around Vienna, no one really talking to her but Melina, "how are you feeling?"

"I'm fine," Vienna mumbled staring vacantly at Melina's hand as it held her own.

"If you're going to lie do it properly," Melina told her, letting go of Vienna's hand and reaching up to hold her by the shoulders, "you know how to lie properly, I taught you that."

Vienna didn't answer, she simply moved her permanently tired expression up to look Melina in the eye. Her mother's eyes were soft and a Hazel colour, similar to her own.

"My darling," Melina said, her voice smooth and easy for Vienna to listen to, "Vy vse tam zaperty. Ne dumay, chto oni zabrali tebya, ty vse yeshche tam."
(You're all bottled up. Don't think they took away who you are, you're still in there.)

"Mama," Vienna looked like she was going to cry, the first crack in her vernier that Melina had seen since she got her back, "Moya zhizn' byla ne chem inym, kak prichineniyem boli lyudyam, kotoryye nichego mne ne sdelali. No kogda ya prichinyayu bol' tem, kto prichinyayet mne bol', eto sluchayetsya. Chto eto oboznachayet?"
(My life has been nothing but hurting people that have done nothing to me. But when I hurt those that hurt me, this happens. What does that mean?)

"It means the world is shit," Melina said, her more serious as she reached up and held Vienna's face. Vienna was a little taller than she was now, it was a little strange to be looking up at her youngest child. "And people are shit, you did nothing wrong. Your father would have done the exact same thing, your sisters and I probably would have done it a little quieter but you think quickly. That can be a good thing."

Vienna nodded and rested her face into her mother's palms.

"Up there isn't going to shit though," Melina told her with a gentle smile, "you'll have to tell me all about the aliens you and your sister meet."

"You're not coming?" Vienna asked, looking back at Melina with a small frown.

"No, I already lost Natasha once," she said, her voice wavering a little, "if I go and you can't get her back it'll kill me. I won't get my hopes up unless she comes back into my arms."

Vienna nodded again, understanding the feeling that Melina had. She too had no idea what she was going to if this didn't work, it felt as though this was all that was keeping her going.

"Tell me about the stars when you get home okay?" Melina smiled at her as Carol stood patiently a little bit away with Yelena. They were clearly ready to go.

"Okay."

End of part 4