Chapter 5 - Mother

Melina and Vienna maintained eye contact as Natasha picked Yelena up off of the floor and left them to it. Believing that Melina would be able to at least hold her own. She'd have to find Alexei and make sure he wasn’t dead before going back to help Melina.

"You can put that knife away Solnyshko," Melina said, getting into a proper stance to fight, "we're not here to kill each other are we."

"Aren't we?" Vienna said, her head slightly tilted to the side.

Vienna attacked first. Her hands free of a blade after she had tied the only one she had on the back of her belt to a mop handle. Each strike out with her hands blocked by Melina like she knew exactly how Vienna was going to act. Eventually, Vienna got both hands between Melina's and forced an opening, she kicked forward pushing Melina away from her.

"I should be able to beat you," Vienna frowned, rubbing at the red marks appearing on her forearms, "I'm stronger, I should be faster, I'm trained to the same level if not higher. In every aspect, I should be better than you."

"And yet here we are," Melina smirked slightly as she waited for Vienna to attack.

Vienna struck out again, trying to hit Melina but missing as she ducked out of the way. Melina took a step behind her and Vienna moved quickly to counter but Melina knew her daughter well. With a few quick steps, Melina tripped Vienna up and had her flat on her back.

"You may be stronger than me," Melina shrugged, "you may have scored higher on the tests they gave us. None of that matters."

Vienna flipped herself up by rolling back into her hands and flicking up onto her feet. She tried to predetermine a counter attack so that this time she wouldn't be outwitted but she had no luck. With what seemed like ease, Melina entwined her arms around Vienna's shoulders to to pull them into an uncomfortable position and wrapped a leg around one of Vienna's to pin her into place as she used her weight to hold her against the wall.

"You will never have my experience," Melina told her as Vienna struggled to find a way out of the lock Melina had pinned her in, "there was a reason they chose me to be your mother, I could have just been a scientist but they chose me to give the female DNA. They wanted you to be the best, so they took what they needed from the best to make you."

Giving up on skill, Vienna planted one foot firm on the floor and pushed hard backwards. With Melina on her back against the wall, Vienna decided to crush her instead. She pushed until she heard a crunch, ignoring the grunts of pain from her mother.

Luckily for Melina, the crunch only meant a few broken ribs but it was enough for her to let go long enough for Vienna to twist free. Melina dropped to the floor, landing harshly on the concrete with her legs stretched out.

"You know," Vienna chuckled as she rolled her shoulders to get the ache that Melina had left out of them, "I always wanted to ask you what it felt like to be bred like a prize bitch, but I guess you're okay with it."

Vienna was not facing Melina when she spoke. The bang was the first she knew of the gun. The pain in her side made her fall to the floor, hunched over as she tried to put pressure on both sides of the wound.

"Don't be rude to your mother," Melina told her, pushing herself up from the floor and clutching her ribs, "now you shouldn't die from that if you're smart about it, so don't bleed out okay Solnyshko."

Melina left the room after leaning down and planting a kiss on Vienna's head.