Chapter 4 - Flight

Sitting in the pilot seat for the first time, Vienna felt a tingle go through her arms as she reached out for the controls which to her delight seemed to be modelled after that of a jet on Earth.

"Can you even fly this thing?" Yelena asked, tapping her sister on the shoulder with the strap on the chair, telling her to put her seat belt on.

"I guess we'll see," Vienna had a slight smile on her face as she spoke. She flicked a few switches and pressed a few buttons until the sound of the engine starting filled their ears.

"If we die in space I'm going to be really mad at you," Yelena mumbled, Vienna's chaotic smirk throwing her confidence in her flying abilities.

"We're not going to die," Vienna told her, wiggling the stearing controls and placing her hand on the lever next to her, "I'm flying."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Yelena's face dropped as she looked at her sister with a puzzled expression.

"You know where you're not supposed to fly a helicopter?" Vienna said, pulling the lever back as far as it would go, "between to big metal corridors."

"We were in a tight situation," Yelena explained, defending herself against the accusation, "Alexei was being... Alexei and I think I was quite skilled in that moment, I got us out of their and never crashed it."

"You almost chopped Natalia in half," Vienna frowned at her, pushing the lever all the way forward, sending them flying at an unexpectedly fast speed. "Ah!"

"Pull it back! Pull it back!" Yelena yelled, slapping Vienna in the arm as the ship soared into the sky, away from the planet. "We don't even know where we're going, we shouldn't be going this fast."

Vienna pulled the lever back, slowing them down to a point that she could control. The controls weren't too different from a jet's, Vienna assumed this was because Carol trained to be a pilot on Earth, but it meant that flying it wasn't difficult to work out.

"Where's the map?" Yelena asked, leaning forward as they left the atmosphere.

"This is why I don't let you fly," Vienna  said, tapping at the screen that sat between them until it showed a star chart.

"It's a space ship, you can't expect me to know," Yelena complained, swiping through the chart trying to find their destination, "and don't act like you do, I know you're just pressing buttons until it works so don't lie. Dammit where's Vormir?"

As she yelled at the screen, the map suddenly shifted and showed them a small glowing light with Vormir written above it along with the coordinates.

"See," Vienna smiled as she nodded down at the screen, "it works."

"We need to put some distance between us and Carol before she notices," Yelena said, leaning her head back on the seat.

"Do you think the ships faster than she is?" Vienna asked, putting her hand back on the lever that controlled the speed.

"No. I don't."

"Let's see," Vienna smiled, pushing it forward again, launching them through the stars.