PART 7: Chapter 1 - Jet Ride

Alien monsters. A great description by Dr Darcy Lewis. They could be anything but going into a fight blind was their job. The Young Avengers sat in a quin jet on their way to New York.

"Crazy day, huh?" James said to the group, his head rested on the back of his seat, "intruder, alien invasion. All in one."

"It's been a nuts one," Harley laughed, glancing back from the controls of the jet as he flew them across to the city.

"Yeah nuts," Yelena smirked at her sister who had her eyes closed as she leaned her head back, "this must have ruined your afternoon, I heard it was really looking up for you."

"It may have interrupted some things," Vienna tried to contain a smile but it could still just about be seen, "but nothing that can't be picked up later."

Yelena laughed a little, watching as her sister lifted her head and reached into her belt. She pulled out a red piece of fabric, like a thick hood type thing.

"Is that?" Yelena asked, sitting up more as she frown at it, "the red widow hood. As in scared the shit out of Dracula, ran the winter guard. That was you?" **

"Made Dracula cry actually," Vienna smiled, running her thumb across the rough fabric, "it's a long story but yeah, fun times. I might use it a bit, I always liked the blankness of it. It scared people more."

"You're not trying to scare people anymore," Yelena sighed, "you're trying to be a hero."

"No, you're trying to be a hero, trying to become Natasha," Vienna rolled her eyes as she put the hood back into her belt, her hair wasn't secured properly for it and it was technically the wrong suit. "I'm getting paid."

"So am I," Yelena complained at her comment, "how much does Fury pay you?"

"I told him how much the power broker paid me, he doubled it," Vienna said as Kate stuck her head round her shoulders so that she could see them both, "I think he doesn't want me to jump ship again."

"You guys are getting paid for this?" Kate asked, frowning between the two of them, "I thought the Avengers was more of a volunteer kind of deal."

"No but seriously," Yelena said, grabbing Vienna's arm to regain her attention, "how much?"

"It's a lot," Vienna chuckled, turning back to her sister after stroking a strand of Kate's hair between her finger and thumb.

"Do you even use money?" Yelena laughed, "why is he paying you so much?"

Vienna shrugged as she continued to twirl the ends of Kate's hair in her finger tips, she liked how it shimmered in the light. "I don't know."

Even though the day had been hard, killing Eric, dealing with Ross and her past, she felt as though she could fight clear headed. Free from the torment she had had before. She felt safer somehow, more assured.

** all comic references to the Marvel Comics Red Widow who I found out about after I started this and she is very cool.