Chapter 9 - A Name On A List

Fury had brought in a team to examine the machine that the anti return group had. They needed to know what it did so he called in a team from Sword.

"This thing is crazy," Darcy Lewis said with her head inside the machine after removing a panel, "I mean actual mental, I gotta get a look at the data. Jimmy can you grab my laptop from the bag?"

"Sure thing," Jimmy Woo said, unfolding his arms and walking over to the bag that sat a little way away from Darcy.

Monica Rambaeu stood leaning against the wall in silence, staring at the blonde girl that sat on a box behind Fury, next to Hawkeye's prodigy. She'd seen the list just like everyone else. The list of names of everyone killed by the red widow, and the one failed attempt.

Vienna glanced up to see the stare she was getting from across the room, maintaining eye contact if only to try and make her stop.

"Do you know who I am?" Monica asked, clearly struggling to keep herself composed.

Vienna didn't answer she only watched Monica.

"Who is Maria Rambau to you?" Monica continued to question Vienna, "Do you know who she is?"

"I do," Vienna said calmly as she stood from the box.

"Who is she to you?" Monica's voice was almost shaking as she spoke.

Vienna raised an eyebrow as she tilted her head, "a missed shot."

"You shot my mother's plane down," Monica looked like she was ready to go for blood, she uncrossed her arms as Vienna put hers into her pockets, "the chemicals in the fumes that came from that crash caused the cancer that killed her."

"I guess they should amend that attempted then shouldn't they," Vienna shrugged as she stepped up to Monica to put some distance between them and Kate.

"Vienna!"

Monica growled as she hit out, her powers glowing blue around her. With a bored look on her face, Vienna ducked under Monica's arm before she could hit her and ended up back to back with her. Taunting her by making it look so easy.

"I've killed a lot of people, in a lot of different ways," Vienna explained, gliding on her feet to avoid getting hit at any cost. If Monica made contact she'd probably kill Vienna with how strong she was. "I'm sorry you're mother's just another name on a list for me but if I felt guilty for her I'd feel guilty for everyone. And that's already been killing me."

Kate had stood up to try and help but after seeing that Vienna seemed able to keep herself safe she just sort of hovered on the sideline.

"When it's just a name, I get hit with, 'it wasn't your fault, you didn't have a choice'," Vienna continued, ducking and dodging as Monica slowed down in her attacks, "but now that its someone you know, someone you care about. I'm the killer."

Finally deciding to fight back, Vienna kicked in a specific spot on Monica's leg, knocking her off balance, causing her to fall.

"I can't discriminate between names on a list just because you knew them, loved them," Vienna told her, "every single person on that list knew someone, loved and was loved. If I felt all of that I'd die. I was beaten bloody when they found out she lived. I didn't have a mind of my own to be in, none of it was in my control."

Monica only glared up from the floor, she didn't attack, just listened.

"I'm a bad person, I know that," Vienna's frown softened as she crouched down in front of Monica, "but you don't have to like me, I'm just a killer for hire. So just tell me who I need to take out to save half the population from turning to dust again. We don't need to interact any more than that."

"That's fine by me," Monica nodded, "Darcy?"

"Multiverse machine," Darcy exclaimed excitedly, "totally awesome. No idea where it came from but we should totally keep it."