Chapter 15 - What Now?

Vienna had her eyes open as she fell through the air. There was no way she would survive and she knew it, it was why she didn't let Yelena jump with her.
The blur of the building rushed passed her face. As she accepted what was happening a red blur rushed up to her and hit her hard in the chest. She was suddenly going in a different direction.

"If you're gonna jump, give me a heads up next time," Peter told her, an arm tight round her waist as he caught her mid-air.

"Lisus,"(Jesus) Vienna muttered as she clung to his shoulders trying not to slip out of his grip.

As careful as he could, Spiderman swung them both down to street.

--

"What were you doing?" Peter asked her, dusting a piece of glass off of Vienna's shoulder as they stood, out of the way, in an alley, "if you don't mind me asking, I mean you don't kill someone for no reason."

"He deserved it," Vienna said quietly. Sidorov was a face that Vienna saw often in her dreams. The way he would hold her down as a child until she grew up and became stronger than he was. The way he would pace about the room as she was beaten and shocked into submission. "I'm not going back there, and I won't take anyone with me."

Peter just nodded, she clearly didn't want to talk about it. She seemed like a good person to him, she had saved Kate at risk of her own life, she had checked that the rest of them were fine even though she didn't have to. He didn't want to judge her on a snap decision, so he decided not to.

They stood catching their breath for a moment, not sure what their next move would be. Luckily, they didn't have to think about it too long. Fury pulled up in a black car directly in front of them.

"Get in," he told them sternly, "now."

-----

Vienna sat starring at the floor, unblinking as she waited for Fury to come back into the room. He was on the phone with the US UN ambassador. Melina had a hand on her shoulder, almost pinning her to the chair so that she wouldn't walk off.

They all looked up as Fury reentered the room.

"Russia wants an extradition," Fury told them, "a lot of the other ambassadors are calling for an international trial to include your other crimes too."

"Then let's go home," Alexei said, slapping his hands down onto his thighs before standing up, "don't give the world their witch hunt, face your own country."

"They'll kill her, no way," Yelena protested, standing from her own seat.

"Or put her right back where she was," Melina sighed, sitting up properly but keeping her hand where it was, "we'd never see her again."

"Well, we'll go with her," Alexei told them, "make sure she's safe. As long as the government is there, Hydra will not be able to touch her."

"Don't be so naive Alexei," Yelena snapped at him, turning her back to her father, "they're one and the same and we all know it."

Alexei went quiet. He was still very patriotic for his home country, he couldn't bring himself to letting it go.

"Well she's coming with me anyway right?" Carol piped up, pushing herself off of the wall she was leaning on, "we'll just go now before the authorities get here. Can't put you on trial if your in space."

"Okay," Melina said quietly, leaning forward to put her arms around Vienna, holding her tight. She didn't want to let her go but at least this way she knew she'd come back safe.