CHAPTER 32

"Ryū please! You're either fucking trying to get drunk or high, or going to cabaret clubs whenever you're not fucking out of it! You're being goddamn destructive." Akane lectured to the person who didn't hear a thing she said. A distant look was all that was given, and all that sat on the pale brown sofa was an empty shell of a Yakuza that was slowly destroying their mind.

"...I'll be back in an hour. At least eat something."

She left without a spare word, leaving Ryū alone. They hadn't spoke a single word since they performed the autopsy at the scene of death three weeks ago. They only felt... empty. All they could do was sit there, for what seemed like nothing but an hour had passed already.

"Sir, I'm getting readings of a holy artefact nearby. Local sources present a hostage situation with civilians, approx. 24. It appears to be an Arbitrage agent that survived. Mrs. Akane is in that group." H.O.L.D.E.N announced, Ryū's eyes fluttering rapidly as they moved out of their position for the first time of the day. They couldn't even get drunk thanks to their fast metabolism, but they were starving themselves.

Their movements were sluggish as they approached Jiro's room, peeking through gap to see him rocking Tetsu and playing with his own kids. Once satisfied, Ryū stumbled into the guest room and started removing their clothes, scrambling through the drawers to find something but their frustration only grew like a helium balloon, ready to pop.

"Sir... I recommend you use the identity of Ryū Kuromiya. Out of all the simulations I ran through, this is the best outcome possible. Your weapons are already in your inventory."

Again, Ryū remained silent as they took a deep inhalation. Their black hair grew from their neck to their waist, a feminine form taking over. They hated it. Grasping the long, knotted wavy black hair as if it wasn't theirs, begrudgingly putting it into a low bun and changing into a black bodysuit, expertly fastening the tactical and gun belts on their body.

Slipping on a black cloak, all it took for them to leave without a trace was to jump out the window. With barely a thud on the concrete, Ryū easily broke into a sprint down alleyways without a sweat whilst slowing their breathing at the same time, scanning their surroundings in desperation.

"BRING HER HERE OR EVERYBODY DIES!"

Ryū froze before they rounded the corner, squatting behind the wall. It was as if H.O.L.D.E.N read their thoughts in that moment.

"Your best option is direct confrontation sir. There is not enough time to reach the rooftops and successfully escort hostages away. He is armed with the holy artefact, a 1M katana along with a 10MM Auto handgun. Hostages you know include Akane Suzuki and Ilya Andreev."

'Ilya? That kid that was a transfer student in the neuroscience course at the university 6 years ago? What the hell is he doing here?'

"WHERE IS SHE?!"

"I'm right here."

Ryū's underused voice brought everyone's attention straight to them, gasps spreading through the crowd like wildfire as the man grinned wickedly in satisfaction.

"Finally... I can get rid of you, you pest." He spat, aiming the gun directly at Ryū, who only stood in front of him with their arms crossed.

"I could say the same for you. Is it only you left?"

"So what if it is?! At least I'll be the one finishing the job, nobody will fucking remember your sorry ass!"

It was as if Ryū got slapped hard with the realisation,

That this was a trap.

word count: 606