CHAPTER 28: The Fragrance of Coffee.

[Time: 1:25pm. Location: Ryū's Studio Apartment, Kyoto. 9 months after Akira's Rescue.]

The smell of espresso filled the apartment as jazz music slowly woke Ryū from their nap, rubbing their eyes to rid the fatigue that plagued them. They've been on leave from all their jobs for 9 months, yet the exhaustion was overwhelming. Ryū pulled down their hoodie that had ridden up during their nap, feeling weird and sweaty.

"Good afternoon, Sir. Haruki-san has brewed you some coffee and just left with Jiro to get some shopping. I have sorted your emails from most important to least, so please take your time and relax." They let out a loud groan as they stretched on the couch, their leg quivering as they let out a sigh of relief.

"Oh... thanks, H.O.L.D.E.N."

A small smile rose on their face as they approached the kitchen, grasping the warm cup of coffee that sat on the counter. Always how they liked it, Two shots of espresso with milk and three sugars. Granted, it wasn't iced as they usually enjoyed it but it was getting colder outside. It was the thought that counted.

Living and helping their father recover has been a healing experience for them. Learning about their childhood, teaching Haruki about their technology and daily life. But being back with their father again, was all they wanted.

Yet they couldn't help but feel bad about leaving their adoptive family behind.

"..." Ryū sighed into their cup as they leaned against the counter, mind drifting off into space which was starting to become a habit of theirs. A small meow sounded from between their legs and laughed at the odd-eye Maine Coon that was demanding attention.

"Hey Iris..." They cooed, lifting the solid white coloured cat into their arms as they coddled her. Iris let out a happy trill and curled up as she played with the long earring on Ryū's ear.

"The sun is already setting." Ryū softly spoke, laughing at the cat who seemingly understood everything they said and replied with a lick on the face, with their two other cats, Mochi and Larry, complaining about the lack of affection. A 5 year old Ragdoll that was missing her front leg, and good ol' Larry who was a rescued gold Maine Coon.

Ryū whistled for them to come, and helped up Mochi who immediately melted in Ryū's arms next to Iris. Larry made himself comfortable on their lap and started kneeding biscuits on Ryū's sweatpants as they sipped their drink.

A warm cup of fragrant coffee and the view of a sunset was enough for them, just peaceful enough to not think about anything.

Lounging with their cats, a warm drink and their favourite books. A completely normal evening.

Except for the pit of dread in their stomach.

wordcount: 471