Chapter Twenty Three: Dungeon

Kelly and Brandi walked the length of the jade floor, followed the stairs to the marble floor and then out to the courtyard where guards were inspecting their vehicles. 

"Hey!" Brandi shouted. "Don't touch that."

The guards backed up and looked at her with a mix of emotions.

"My apologies Ms." A guard said. "Our vehicles do not look like this." 

"What do your vehicles look like?" Kelly asked. 

The guard walked them across the courtyard to the opposite side of the door they had walked out from and pointed to a boxy wagon on cog like wheels. The outside was thick canvas with gears that moved the material in various directions. 

"How does it run?" Kelly asked. 

"It runs by light and crystal. I couldn't explain it further. Sorry." The guard explained. 

"Is everything run on crystal power?" Brandi asked.

"Yes, most things. Some are run on solar while others like stationary objects are run on wind." 

"No batteries or oil?" Brandi asked.

"Oil? Like the pools of it that leak out from the planet?" The guard asked.

"Yeah." Brandi nodded.

"No. Never. That would be taking from the planet and hurting the lady of the land. We use only rechargeable and reusable sources of energy." 

"Is it not on Terra?" The guard asked.

"No. It is not." Kelly replied. 

"How...umm...yeah..." the guard didn't bother finishing his sentence. "Will you be taking a tour of the city?" 

"We would love that." Kelly said enthusiastically. 

"Let me see if I can get-"

"Would you be able to show us around?" Brandi asked.

"I...Uh..." the guard looked at his fellow guards who shook their head and shrugged. 

"When do you get off duty?" Kelly asked.

"Not for another..." he looked at a small gear driven watch on his wrist then back at Kelly. "...yeah I still have three hours to go."

"We can keep ourselves busy until then. Right?" Kelly looked to Brandi who smirked.

"Of course we can." 

"Then meet me here in three hours and I will gladly escort you both around the city." 

"Thanks. See you soon." Kelly winked and walked off with Brandi. 

                              *****

Melanie walked with Lucian across the hall to his private chamber. As the door opened, she stepped inside and looked around. His room was nearly twice the size of theirs. One full wall was books. Another had shelves for clothing and fabrics. Near the far right corner of the wall hung a large striking bag with a solid wooden pole.

Sheathed inside a set of scabbards was five different wooden weapons. What Lucian led her to was a large wooden chest. 

"Do you see this chest?" He asked.

"Yes My Lord." 

"If I ever tell you to go to the dungeon. This-" he pointed to the box, "-is where I want you to go." 

"Yes My Lord. I understand. But...how?" 

With a sly grin he twisted the knob and they watched as the gears turned. With an audible click, the lock bar slid and the chest opened. Lucian lifted his leg up and as he stepped into the empty chest, the darkness swallowed it. She watched with wide eyes as he vanished, leaving only his hand out for her to see. With a deep breath, she followed in after and climbed down the ladder.