Chapter Forty Six: Master's Call

Kelly had little understanding of what was happening. The viper headed dragon and the flaming doppelganger were nearly ready to do battle and it seemed as though their next movements were based upon Kelly's reaction.

"Whom do you choose?" The flaming Kelly asked, her eyes blazing with fury.

Standing beside the one hundred foot long dragon she looked diminutive.

"Choose?" Kelly asked, not understanding what the reason behind the choice would be.

"Yes!" The viper hissed, flicking out its blue forked tongue. "I-"

"We!" The flaming doppelganger corrected angrily. The draconic viper snapped its jaws baring long fangs at the female of fire.

"We, are the essences within you now." The viper hissed. "We are your destiny."

"Choose! Path of the Dragon? Or path of the Daemon." The flaming Kelly shouted.

Kelly looked from the massive draconic viper to the blazing charred daemon. Their eyes bore down upon her with all the pressure of a tidal wave. Threatening to drag her down to the depths of the ocean, drowning her in pressure that would collapse her very being.

"I...choose..."

*****

Maalceus could do little more than watch as more cracks formed along her skin. Like porcelain under pressure, her body was nearing the point of shattering. The color was slowly leaking from her body, like a corpse being set into the ground.
Maalceus nestled his head into the crook of her neck and shed his tears.

'This is my fault. I did this to you and for the rest of my life, I shall pay dearly for it.'

A knock at the door disrupted his thoughts.

"Be gone!" He snapped angrily.

The door slid open and Lucian walked in.

"How does she-" his words fell silent as his eyes looked upon her body. Cracked and flaking, she appeared far more dead than alive.

"If only she had not met me." Maalceus said. "If she had not come across my path, she would still be-"

"It is not your fault brother. There are risks to the transition." Lucian replied comfortingly.

"Look at me!" Maalceus snarled baring his six fangs. His orange and yellow eyes blazed like bright burning embers in a roaring fire. Lucian knew better than most what his eyes truly were. They were not the eyes of a dragon but a daemon.

Lucian knew well enough what lurked within his half brother's blood. His father had taken a risk keeping him within the palace but nonetheless, he was of his blood and that made him family.

*****

Joona opened the door for Melanie and Brandi who stepped up into the carriage but not before handing the driver a pastry of his own. The short unshaven man looked at Melanie with an expression of awe and confusion. He had never been offered any real thanks for his job other than money and a passing appreciation.

"Thank you M' Lady." He smiled and ate the pastry with a pure look of satisfaction.

As the carriage started moving, Melanie looked from Brandi to Joona who had removed her helmet again.

"Joona?" Melanie asked.

"Yes my lady?"

"May I ask you something or perhaps offer you a proposal?"

Brandi shot Melanie a surprised expression but the queen only smirked.

"If I were to offer you a different position? What would you say?"