01

Elianna Grace

The bright lights of the cafe fills the room, the noise of people yelling their orders is all I can hear in this tiny little bistro. The sound of jingling bells is something I became accustom to hearing whenever the doors opened. The smell of caffeine, chocolate and caramel is all that fills my nostrils. The aroma alone could make me so happy.

I swiftly run around the barista preparing drinks for the last two customers in line. It was about 10 pm and I was already late for closing up. 

Julie is gonna kill me if she gets to know I've kept the barista up and running after anything past 9:30. I already let the time pass because there was a huge line which I tried my best to finish off and now it was down to the last two, after which I'd close up.

I quickly finish serving the last two customers and giving the small little kid who had come with his mom an extra donut. He was extremely happy and walked out of the barista with chocolate all over his face from the filling inside of the donut, talking about how chocolate is the best thing in the world and should've been the real president.

I have been working in this cafe for about 4 months now and its been quite hectic, I've been working continuous shifts while studying for my PhD in psychology, to one day become a certified clinical psychologist. I also work two days a week as a part time counselor on Tuesdays and Thursdays for two hours each in a nearby high school, so that ends up becoming an extra source of income.

 Its been quite hard managing everything together to the point where I just solely depend on caffeine to get through my day as I barely sleep anymore due to all the studying I miss out on when I can't attend my classes because of the double shifts I pull.

Melina and Noah work here as well but since Melina went on a trip with her family last Friday and Noah being Julie's son comes and goes whenever he pleases, it ends up being me who usually works full time. I know it isn't fair but I don't even wanna bother my parents for money for college, I already hear enough shit from them. So even associating myself much with them, let alone asking them for money is a headache which I'd avoid on any cost. So I just put up with this at least until I find a better paying part time job with good working hours. 

Once the barista was empty I started cleaning up and began getting ready for closing the barista up. I had an early shift tomorrow at 7 am and then about three back to back classes after that. I had to get home.

I start cleaning out the frappe machine which was covered with chocolate, when just then the door swung open with full force the sound caught me so off guard that all the chocolate from the machine fell all over my apron.

But then I saw him. He walks in wearing a black suit with a white shirt beneath it. His muscles flexed, clearly showing through his tight suit. His hair was messy but it looked like he was the one that messed it up intentionally.

 His sleeves were rolled up which exposed his tattoos, he was covered in them. He wore a black wrist watch on his left hand and along with that he wore multiple silver rings. He looked beautiful. However, when those green eyes looked at mine all I could see was tears.

Before I could say anything he yells "Where the fuck is the washroom?" I knew he was vulnerable and already going through something so I dint want to tell him that the barista was closing up so instead I say "To the right sir."

He skims through all the chairs and tables and enters the washroom and all I could hear was a slam.

I then sprint across the kitchen and start cleaning the kitchen up, I wipe the chocolate from all over my face and take off my apron filled with chocolate, it was so stained that I knew I couldn't get it all off so I just put it in a plastic bag that I then put in my purse so that I could clean it later when I get back home. I then began to dust the tables and chairs and set all the machines off, I swept the cafe and got done with the cleaning.

I was wearing a tight red full sleeve turtleneck shirt with a short black pencil skirt, a pair of black stockings and a pair of black boots. I let loose of the ponytail I tied six hours back which caused my head to ache and continued to wait for him.

I sit on the chair with was usually occupied by customers and waited for him to get out of the washroom so I could close the cafe and head back home but he dint come out. It had been about half and hour now and I still couldn't see him walk out of that door.

I knew if I delayed this anymore Julie would yell at me tomorrow saying how irresponsible of an employee I was but I also knew the man in there was having a rough time and I dint wanna be a pain in the ass. So I decide to wait for a few more minutes.

I almost fell asleep just when I felt a piece of paper brush up against my hand. I look up and there he stands all cleaned up and his hair slick, but this time his green eyes looked nothing but cold.