Louis huffs, slamming the lights that are free from the knot, against the floor. "These lights I will end up chucking out the window!"

Gemma laughs outright, shaking her head. "Give it here." She snatches them from his hands and begins working at the ball.

Soon, they unravel and we are able to string them along the tree branches.

"How you managed that, I do not know," Louis mumbles, twisting the lights through the branches.

I take the plug and shove it into the socket, switching it on and turning the switch on the side of the lights. Red lights twinkle slowly, blinking on and off in a nice little rhythm.

"Yay!" Louis cheers, clapping and slinging an arm over my shoulder. "How good does this look? Should we add tinsel, too?"

Gemma's shaking her head. "Add tinsel to that and it'll look like an elf has thrown up and not in a good way. It's tacky."

Louis frowns and I grin over to Gemma, resulting in a cool pad of a finger to prod into my dimple. I look over at Louis who's removing his finger from my face and I stick my tongue out at him.

"Right, you two Santa's little helpers, ready to go see if we can find mum her present?"

I feel excitement course through me and I squeal like a bloody child but I don't care. I jump over the sofa, running to my room to grab my jacket slung over my chair and my wallet. I pocket my phone into the jacket and sling it on, walking out into the hallway and shoving my feet into my boots.

"I am ready! Come on, Lou! Don't make us late, please!" I call out, grabbing the handle to the front door.

"There isn't a time slot, Harry, there's no reservations, you know," He replies with an eye roll, disappearing into his room.

Gemma comes over, popping her coat on and smiles at me. "You two are so freaking cute together."

I nudge into her, dusting red. "Shut up, we're not together, he's just... a friend?"

She definitely heard the question in my voice and she smirks. "Mhm, just 'friends.' Tell me, Harry, do you see me and Frankie kiss each other? Or hold hands? Or poke dimples? Or smile fondly? Or stare at each other for that matter?"

I pout, shaking my head. "Shut up, it's different for us."

She smiles wider. "Yeah, it looks like you two are doing what me and Dylan would do when we were first going out and still had that fresh love crush feeling in our stomachs. You, my little brother, are falling. And you're falling hard!"

I sigh. "No, I'm not." I definitely am not fall for Louis.

Okay. Okay! I get it, I am but I don't need to tell her that, alright?

Louis pads over with a hoodie and his denim jacket on, shoving his feet into some Adidas trainers. "I am ready to go."

We file out the house, Gemma looking behind her with a smile, at me and Louis when Louis links his arm through mine and leans his head into my shoulder.

...

We walk through into the front doors of the RSPCA, barking, meowing and squawking of loads of different animals sounds throughout the place, muffled by the doors.

I feel a little nervous for no apparent reason so I take that as an opportunity to bring my hand into Louis' glove clad one.

"Good day, how may I help you?" The receptionist asks with a warm smile stretching her red tinted lips.