Thirteen

I've got my book open but I'm barely paying attention to it, just staring at my phone screen instead, watching the clock turn from 9:59 to 10:00.

I sigh, chucking the phone on the bed and bringing the book up to my face from where I lay. 

"Haz!" Louis calls through the door, opening it. 

I quirk my brow, looking at him from beneath the book. "What?"

He pouts, plodding over with dangly limbs and flops on top of me. I drop the book, wrapping my arms around him, enjoying the warmth that radiates off him.

"Wanna come with me to get pumpkins for the flat? I wanna carve pumpkins with you before we go for half term," He explains, looking up at me from where his cheek is squished against my chest.

I lean over, kissing his temple because I want to and I'm somehow, allowed. I nod. "Okay, fine."

He breaks into a grin, springing up. "Come on, then. I'll buy you a meal deal or something while we're out, too!"

I put a hand to my heart mockingly. "Such a gentleman," I tease, getting up and walking out to put my boots on. 

He jumps onto my back with a giggle and I walk us down toward the lift, not trusting myself to go down the stairs in case we both break our bloody necks. What can I say? I'm a clumsy mother fucker.

We get into his car and he puts the heater on instantly.

"Have you learnt to drive then, Curly?" He asks conversationally.

I shake my head. "No."

He frowns. "Oh. How come?"

I shrug. "I was in a small village, didn't see the need to, could get the bus to wherever I wanted to go."

"Well, if you change your mind, I wouldn't mind teaching you." He gives me a sideways grin looks back to the road. "So there's a party in a few days time, you coming?"

I shrug. "I guess. Do we need to dress up?"

"Of course we do, Harold, it's a bloody Halloween party."

"What you wearing?" I ask.

He points at me. "That, is a surprise."

I nod. "I don't know what to go as, I don't have anything."

"I can help you look for a costume if you'd like?" He suggests, parking the car outside the Co-op. 

We could've walked but the pumpkins would be a hassle to carry.

"Na, it's okay." We clamber out and walk in, Louis sneaking his hand to the small of my back.

"Choose your pick," He says, gesturing to the massive box of pumpkins in the shop. He begins rifling through them, they thud and bang against the side of the box as he does so, looking for a good one.

I go to the other box beside it, spotting a pumpkin and I frown, picking it up. "I want this one."

Louis shakes his head. "Harry, it's hideous! Go for one of the better ones." He reaches into the box, plucking up quite a small one but it's perfectly round and rich orange like the flames of a fire. He smiles down at it. 

I look at him, giving him puppy eyes and a pout that I've seen Liam do many times to Zayn to get his way. It almost always works. 

"B-but, I feel bad for it. Look at it, Lou! No one will choose it and then it will have to be thrown away and it'll have no purpose anymore." I hold it out for him to see. It is quite an ugly pumpkin which makes it the best one. It's unique. It's slanted to the side, slightly caved in with a black bruise homing near the top where the prickly thick stem is.