1

"Sadie, are you still down to go to the game tonight?" My brother, Kody asked.

"Yeah" I replied. He invited me to go see the Leafs play. Truth is, I don't even really like hockey. I don't understand what's going on but I pretend I do anyway, just to please my brothers.

"Well, get your jersey on, we gotta go!" He told me, clapping his hands to imply a sense of urgency. I rolled my eyes and grabbed my Leafs jersey. It says 'Nylander' on the back. I don't even know who the players are, when my brothers make me watch the game, I just zone out.

We walked out the door and began our drive to Scotiabank Arena.

"Are you excited? I'm excited! I can't believe we're finally going to see the Leafs play!" Kody asked excitedly.

"Yeah, I'm excited!" I lied. I'm really not excited about being in a building with a bunch of loud ass people but it is what it is.

-

We got to the arena, Kody somehow got us seats right up against the glass. I know he doesn't make that kind of money, so I have no idea how he managed it.

"How did you get these seats?" I asked.

"Don't worry about it" he winked. Okay, that doesn't answer my question.

"That doesn't answer my question" I replied.

"Shhh.... The game is starting!" He told me, trying to get me to shut up. I rolled my eyes and watched them skate around and chase after a puck.

I'm cold. It's cold in here. Why didn't Kody tell me it was going to be cold here? If I would've known, I would've brought a hoodie.

I guess I should've known it was going to be cold, it isn't called ICE hockey for no reason. Ice is cold. I should've known. I'm not that bright.

"Sades! You see that goal?! Marner just scored us a goal!" Kody shouted, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Oh! Yeah! It was cool!" I told him, pretending to care. I don't even know who Marner is. I zoned back out and lost myself in my thoughts.

-

"Are you even paying attention? The Leafs just won and you didn't even react" Kody asked.

"Yeah, I'm just not loud" I lied.

"Dude, you're right up against the glass and watching our favorite team play, I thought you would be more excited. I pulled a lot of strings to make our first hockey game special" he told me, getting irritated.

"I am excited, I just don't like to yell." I told him.

"Sure." He rolled his eyes.

"I was paying attention and I am excited!" I argued.

"If you were paying attention, you would have noticed that Auston Matthews kept looking at you, the entire game" he told me. I rolled my eyes. I don't even know who Auston Matthews is!

"He probably looks at all of his fans that are up against the glass" I replied.

"He was ogling you, Sadie. He would not take his eyes off of you, so much so, that he kept running into the boards and missed literally every chance he had to get the puck" He explained. Whoever this Auston guy is, I doubt he was looking at me, Kody is just trying to make me look like the bad guy for not paying attention.

"Let's get out of here, Kody" I suggested.

"Let's go to the bar that's down the street" he replied as we got up from our seats.

We exited the building and walked to his car. We buckled up and pulled out of the parking lot.

We got to the bar a couple minutes later. The parking lot was full and the inside of the bar was loud and unpleasant.

"Go find us a table, I'm gonna get us a round of shots" Kody told me. I nodded and tried to find us a table. It's so loud and crowded in here, I can barely think.

As I was trying to find a table, I ran into someone.

"I'm sorry!" I apologized, taking a step back.

"You're fine. I wasn't watching where I was going" the guy replied.

"I wasn't either" I told him.

"I'm guessing you went to tonight's game?" He asked.

"Yeah. You?" I asked.

"I guess you could say that" he chuckled.

"I'm guessing Nylander is your favorite player?" He asked.

"Honestly, I don't know any of the players. I pretend to care about hockey for my brothers since we don't have much in common" I explained. He frowned.

"Ah, so you don't like hockey?" He asked.

"It's not that I don't like it, I just don't understand what's going on and I'm afraid to ask questions about it since my brothers have been making me watch it with them since I was a baby" I told him.

"Well, if you have any questions, I wouldn't mind answering them" he smirked as my brother found me.

"Sadie, were you able to find a table- Holy shit, you're talking to Auston Matthews" Kody fangirled.

"Don't mind my brother" I told this 'Auston' guy.

"It's cool. How'd you enjoy the game?" He asked my brother.

"I loved it! It was my first time going to see a hockey game in person! You guys did great out there tonight, really blew it out of the water!" My brother replied in one breath.

"Thanks man" Auston replied.

"Not a problem. Sadie, I'm gonna go find a table!" My brother stated as he walked off.

"I apologize for him, he's a big fangirl for you guys. I honestly didn't know I was talking to a player until he mentioned it" I told Auston.

"I don't mind it when fans get excited, I'm glad he enjoyed the game tonight. I was honestly a little thrown off that you didn't realize who I was when you started talking to me because you're wearing Willy's jersey, then you said that you don't know hockey and then it made sense. I don't know, I'm rambling" he told me.

"Yeah, he's been amped up like this all day. He swore to God that you were staring at me during the game since we were up against the glass. He said you accidentally bowled another player over because you were staring but I don't believe him" I explained.

"You're the pretty girl that was at the glass?!" He asked, in shock.

"I was a girl at the glass, I'm not sure about the pretty part" I chuckled.

"You're actually extremely beautiful" he replied. My cheeks turned fifty different shades of red.

"You don't look too bad yourself" I replied. He was actually quite handsome. He smiled at me.

"Can I buy you a drink?" He asked. I nodded and followed him to the bar.

-

Hi guys! Decided to publish this because I've been sitting on this story for a while as well and have been too self conscious to let others read it but it's doing no good for me to write and not let people read it lol. I hope yall like it!

-Bri