Chapter 33 - Mikhail

"I need to tell you something Mikhail." Luciana's voice shook as she cowered away from me. A pang of pain shot through my chest at the way she was pushing me away. What could be so important that she had to interrupt our little make out session? I had fully intended to make true of my promise and make my absence up to her while I showed her how much I missed her - even if it was for a few hours. But apparently, she had other plans.

I walked behind her as she led the way, her hips swaying gracefully. What wouldn't I give to have both my hands on her hips while fucking her raw. But something stopped me. Her demeanor and the way she was pushing me away told me that something wasn't right - something was definitely off.

All night I had tried to keep my gaze off of her, trying to socialise but much to my chagrin, I was unable to peel my eyes away from her. She looked absolutely beautiful - as always. I was one lucky bastard to call her mine.

She opened the door to her room as she finally turned to face me, wringing her hands together nervously. I stepped closer to her as I covered her hands with my large ones.

"What's wrong malyshka?" I uttered lowly as she looked up at me with unshed tears in those doe eyes.

"Mikhail...I haven't been honest with you these past couple of weeks. There's something you should know." She trailed off nervously as I pulled back from her. If there was one thing that I absolutely hated, it was being kept in the dark and being lied to.

"What is it?" I questioned as I let my guard up, putting up my best poker face.

She flinched away from me by my harsh tone as a pang of regret passed through me. However, I had no time to dwell on that since she pulled out a thick envelope from the table drawer.

"The day you caught me in Ilaria's room, I found these."

She handed me the envelope with trembling fingers as I noticed that the seal had already been torn open. She had read them.

"I read them." She confessed as she looked to the ground and gulped, only further confirming my suspicions.

"I tried telling you but I-I just couldn't..."

"You couldn't what, Luciana?" I snapped as she lifted her eyes to mine.

"I didn't want to hurt you. Whatever's written in her letters, it's...it's going to hurt you."

"And who gave you the right to decide for me whether or not I should read my own sister's letters?"

"I-I'm sorry, Mikhail. I truly am. I didn't want -

"Stop making excuses and fucking own up that you lied to me!" I exclaimed angrily as I slammed my hand down on the table.

She started shaking like a leaf as she turned her face away from me to hide the onslaught of tears. As much as it pained me to see her cry, I couldn't deny the fact that she had brought this upon herself.

"Tell me Luciana, why did you do this? Why did you lie to me?" My voice cracked on the last sentence as I implored her to give me a reasonable explanation.

"I didn't want to burst our bubble. Once you read those letters, it's going to change everything. It's going to ruin us." She sobbed as tears leaked out of her eyes.

"That's where you're wrong, malyshka. We were always doomed from the beginning." I replied sardonically as fresh tears rolled down her cheeks.

I turned my head away from her, unable to look at her even a moment longer.

"Sergei was right. He told me that you would ruin me. Look where we are now." I chuckled dryly as I watched her watching me, begging for me to understand.