Chapter 43: Tell Me

Start from the beginning

Sighing, she stood and twisted her ankle on something on the floor. Arms pinwheeling to catch her balance, Usagi steadied herself and bent to retrieve it.

It was a shirt Seiya had worn earlier that week - a loose white button-down that had missed the laundry hamper. Were her messy habits starting to rub off?

The silky smooth material brushed against her touch. Usagi couldn't resist cradling it close, first to her chest, then to her face. As she suspected, it smelled just like Seiya. She inhaled deeply. The Kinmokian olive blossom scent was just as strong as the first day Seiya had arrived.  The fragrance was floral, slightly fruity, with suble hints of cacao and something else entirely exotic. Almost like magic, the scent captured the essence of Seiya.  

Usagi stripped down to her bra and underwear, leaving her dress and tights on the floor in exchange for Seiya's shirt. The buttons were tiny, and backward with it being a men's shirt, so she didn't bother with them. Usagi crawled across the mattress, bringing the too-long sleeves to her face, pretending they were Seiya's arms wrapped around her.

Time blurred, Usagi didn't know how long she lay awake. Breathing in, breathing out. She was too tired to check the time, and unsure if there was even a clock in the bedroom. Anxiety gnawed at her belly, exhaustion fogged her brain. Nephrite. Naru. Umino. Xenon. Ruanyu. Kakyuu. Keika. Mamoru. Chibi-Usa. Usagi rubbed her eyes with the back of her hand, wishing her mind would stop the ruminating loop. What she needed was a good night's rest to reboot everything.

After what felt like ages, a sliver of light pierced the room, filtering through the half-open door, ghosting across the bookshelves and guitars on display. Usagi instinctively squeezed her eyes shut, uncertain why. Moments later, after slipping in and out of the connecting bathroom, Seiya joined her in bed. Usagi felt the mattress dip under her weight. She realized she was hogging almost all of the covers and rolled to unwind the cocoon.

"Oh, did I wake you?" came Seiya's whisper.

"No..."

"You weren't waiting for me were you? Sorry I took so long. Yaten and I were talking with Taiki before she left."

"It's okay."

"Hey, is that my shirt?"

It suddenly dawned on her that maybe Seiya wouldn't want her wearing it to bed, especially if it was expensive. And from the luxurious feel of the material, she figured it was.

Usagi blushed. "Um, sorry, I just..."

"You can wear it, Bun Head. I don't mind."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

Another ocean of silence. Seiya searched for her spot in bed, arranging a pillow, moving a blanket. Buying time.

Usagi inched closer under the sheets. Her leg brushed against Seiya's, and she almost apologized. But she found relief when Seiya's thigh purposefully eased between her own and Seiya's arms came around her. Usagi hugged her back. This person felt like home.

Neither said anything, they simply held each other. Usagi's fingers woven in the Starlight's undone hair, Seiya's face buried in the crook of Usagi's neck, bodies flush. The furnace clicked on, a steady rush of dry, warm air filling the room. It was almost unnecessary with the heat of each other's skin.

Usagi lifted her chin atop Seiya's head and closed her eyes. This was a good sign. Seiya must not be too mad if she wanted to be like this.  It occured to her that Seiya could have chosen to sleep on the couch downstairs, but here she was.

Usagi's fingers absentmindedly combed through the top of her dark, curly bangs. She sensed Seiya's breathing slowing, relaxing at her touch or possibly falling asleep. If she was going to say anything, it had to be now, or she would miss her chance. This couldn't go on any longer. Usagi summoned her courage.