Chapter Twenty-Six: Gone, But Not Forgotten

Start from the beginning

Many guests who contributed their support for (Y/n) was present, some of whom were people who knew (Y/n) simply for his simple, charismatic and kind and gentle nature. In the church where people had gathered to pay their respects, all members of the League shared their views on (Y/n) as their words carried their utmost respect for his persistence in making the world a safer place - for all and especially his daughter. 

It wasn't until Diana's turn to speak that she found herself struggling to get her words out, to convey her view on her husband, at his funeral, no less. Her gaze wandered around the front rows, searching each individual despite knowing that he wouldn't dare show up, even if it was about family he'd lost. 

When Diana finally managed to speak, she Lent her voice so clearly that her emotions affected all who listened. "Who knew Avatar more than his most trusted colleagues and friends? The League were united to protect the world from all dangers - we stand united to triumph over evil - but how can we continue to do so without Avatar? He was the heart of the team: a soul so compassionate and devoted that experiencing his loss has truly shaken us all. Even his loved ones. In the face of danger, Avatar strived to save as many as he could; even going as far to willingly sacrifice himself so that others may live. But now his spark is gone. I only wish that--"

The doors to the church burst open, interrupting Diana's touching monologue. People began to murmur in conspiracy of the person that dared interrupt the funeral, until they realised that there was a group present. The most notable villains of the Batman had presented themselves honourably in suits and dresses to commit their respects to the fallen hero. 

Each villain held a differently coloured chrysanthemum flower to signify one experiencing the loss of a loved one. While they didn't particularly like (Y/n)'s hero persona, they certainly ascertained enough respect to attend his funeral and occupy a full row near the front of the church. Until they settled, Diana managed to find her bearing and left off where she was last, restoring the sadness within those who sat by and stared at the Amazon princess. 

After her monologue, everyone in the room was granted a change to lay a flower on the coffin at the front of the room with the earth elemental symbol on top. Those who'd donated their flower quietly walked out of the church in single file until all were now standing outside of the church. Citizens were put on edge due to seeing some of Gotham's supervillains present in Metropolis, but nobody lingered for much longer as those who attended the funeral went back to their normal lives. 

For Diana, however, she could not. 

Prior to her arriving at home, Diana found the first bottle in the liquor cabinet, sat on the couch and began to drink her sorrows away. Her hair was now loose and untidy as were her clothes now wrinkled and creased terribly whilst she kicked off her heels and sat back, allowing the bottle to become more diagonal until she found that she'd drunk the entire bottle in one gulp. 

Only then did she realise how depressed she'd become and leaned forward with her palms pressed to her forehead. She continued to sniffle and cry as quietly as she could when she felt a cold hand touch her bare shoulder. 

"I'm sorry, (Y/n/n)." Diana sobbed as her hand went to cover her mouth. A hand grabbed her wrist, making her look up to her right at the ghostly apparition of her dead husband. 

"I'd be the world's greatest liar if I said I died with no regrets. I knew my story would end one of two ways, Diana. I did my part. And now it's over for me." (Y/n)'s chilly voice responded. Hearing his voice made her question whether she was going insane or not, but due to his phantom in her presence, she couldn't rightly assume she was indeed going crazy over her loss. 

"Buh-buh-but it can't be over! You said, you vowed, 'till death do us part!' I thought we would be happy. Live the rest of our lives watching the sun set. To watch our daughter grow up and live and learn and love; get married, have children of her own who look up to you and call you their grandparent. I thought you wanted all of that, (Y/n). I-I'm struggling to even imagine a future at this point, (Y/n)."