3.15: Unstable

Date: 30th Jan

Willow's Birthday: 12th December
◇◇◇

Chapter 47
Peeta's POV

It feels weird being given a key to my own compartment. I know I have had one before but this time it feels especially strange. And it's only a couple days after Haymitch told me.

I guess I'm feeling a little more stable, since someone finally came to take Willow back.

I learn somewhere how to use the timetable. It is printed on your arm in bright purple ink. The colour reminds me of Caesar Flickerman. I go to lunch. I don't see Katniss anywhere, which is weird; she's probably trying to avoid me. That's fair enough. I don't really mind not seeing her. It's not exactly important.

I do see her family- her mother, apparently named Clara, and Prim. She looks too innocent. How did the Capitol ever make me think they were Mutts? The feeling is still triggered in me a bit when I look at them, though I don't understand why. Finnick is there with Annie, something I can't disturb. Johanna sits with a woman I vaguely recognise for some reason, but there seems to be something unspoken going on, so it's probably best not to sit there either. Haymitch is nowhere, but I also see Gale. I know he's the one that induced the more powerful Hijacking, but I guess he didn't know.

I don't think I could face Ms. Everdeen and Prim yet, so I sit next to Gale. I don't exactly remember what happened, but I'm sure he didn't really mean to do this. He usually seems like he's quite a nice guy, if a little over the top when it comes to overthrowing the Capitol- but at this point, who wouldn't be? When I sit he gives me a strange look I can't decipher.

"Oh look, it's the Mutt," He says.

"What?" I reply.

"You know, I've just had enough of you. What did I even do wrong?"

"I don't understand," I say, shaking my head. I instantly know it was a mistake sitting here.

He stares at me like I'm an idiot. "She's obsessed with you, but you don't even care about her. What did you even do? Just drag her down?"

I sigh. "Gale, look, I just came here to say things were settled between us. And I'm not in charge of Katniss's heart. I don't know why she likes me, okay? I don't understand half the things in my life. I don't even know yet if I love her." I look down at my food. "Actually, I only sat here beacuse I wanted to eat and not be left on my own or with starngers."

"Oh, don't worry. I know you won't want her." He says, ignoring my later comment. "Not after what happened with me and her."

"What," I am taken aback. And confused "You just said she didn't care about you- I- what?"

"Maybe, maybe not... but she's not just yours anymore. I have power over her too now."

"Gale, what in the name of..."

He gives me a sly smirk. "You aren't the only one who has seen her that way. I bet she will come running to me- after all, what are you compared to me? And even if she doesn't, you've got no chance, mutt."

And finally it hits me right in the face. What Gale did. How could I be so stupid? It was right in front of my face.

I don't notice Gale getting up from the table, but when I turn he is gone.

Finnick comes up to me as he is leaving. "Peeta, it's good to see you. You okay now?"

I nod. "Yeah, thanks Finnick."

He seems a little nervous, but I don't really take much notice. I'm too busy thinking how I am going to get Gale back. "I need to tell you something," He says. "Me and Annie... we're getting married."