1.08: Softest Eyes

Chapter 8
Peeta's POV

She sucks in a breath of cold air, exhaling as she says, "I'm pregnant."

This takes a minute to hit me. Then I'm overjoyed.

Then I remember the Games.

"You... you are?" I find it hard to get out my words.

"Yes," she says. Her deep grey eyes look up to me and they look so different to normal. They are usually built up to try and hide emotions. They are usually determined. Strong. Ruthless.
But they look so innocent. So nervous. So fearful. So vulnerable.

I take her back into my arms and hug her tight. A small damp patch appears on my shirt, where she sobs. She feels so small. We're both so young. Only 17. How could anyone force us to go through this.

"Katniss, I'm so sorry." I know the child is obviously mine. 

I hate myself. Why did I have to rush her into this? Why did I have to volunteer to go into the games when I could've protected her so much better as a mentor? Why didn't I just die in the first Games? It would've been so much better.

So much better.

"We don't need to tell anyone," I say. "They don't have to know if you don't want them to."

She lifts her head to look at me. "No it's ok," She says. "At least Haymitch should know. He could help us work through it."

"Yeah," I say. My throat barely let's me get out the word. "Okay."

She hugs back closer. "When do we tell him?"

"Whenever you are ready."

♤♤♤

Haymitch's POV

I walk the corridors of District 12's floor. It's so quiet. At first my body found it hard to deal without the alcohol to wash it all away, but I do feel better.

I struggle up the stairs to the roof, and see the two Victors of 12 sitting on the ledge. The boy looks up and I can see his eyes look red.

But I can tell this is a trivial matter, so I hold back any sarcastic comments.

"What can I do?" I say.

Darker And Colderजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें